"Land of the Rajputs" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan by Justin_goa
State of Rajasthan Travel Guide: 3,360 reviews and 10,483 photos
Rajasthan includes most of the erstwhile region called Rajputana (land of the Rajputs) which was comprised of Rajput kingdoms. "Rajput" literally means 'son of a king'. Rajput families rose to prominence in the 6th century CE, establishing kingdoms in Rajputana and across northern India. The Rajputs resisted the Muslim incursions into India, although a number of Rajput kingdoms eventually became subservient to the Delhi Sultanate and the Mughal Empire during those empires' peak of expansion.Mewar leads others in resistance toward muslim rule, Rana Sanga was to organise Battle of Khanua against Babur and Maharana Pratap against Akbar in Haldighati. While other rulers like Raja Maan Singh of Amer ware trusted allies. As Mughal empire weakened, the Rajputs reasserted their independence. With the decline of the Mughal Empire in the 18th century, Rajputana came under attack from the Marathas and Pindaris, and the Maratha general Scindhia captured Ajmer. The Rajput kings concluded treaties with the British in the early 19th century, accepting British sovereignty in return for local autonomy and protection from the Marathas.Following the Mughal tradition and more importantly due to its strategic location Ajmer became a province of British India, while the autonomous Rajput states and a few non-Rajput states (Tonk, Bharatpur, and Dholpur) were organized into the Rajputana Agency.
Rajasthan's former independent kingdoms created a rich architectural and cultural heritage, seen today in their numerous forts and palaces (Mahals and Havelis), which are enriched by features of Muslim and Jain architecture.
Founded in the mid 18th century Manawa skyline today is dominated by an imposing mirage like fort now a heritage hotel... more travel advice
Jhunjhunu, the ancient capital of Shekhawati lies in the quiet and unhurried desert region of north Rajasthan. Named... more travel advice
Justin_goa's Related Pages
State of Rajasthan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The country of kings."
- "Faces & Places of Rajasthan"
- "Land of the Rajputs"
- "A Journey across Rajasthan"
- "India's tourist state"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Rajasthan
- Hotels in State of Rajasthan
- Transportation in State of Rajasthan
- Nightlife in State of Rajasthan
- Restaurants in State of Rajasthan
- Shopping in State of Rajasthan
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Rajasthan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Rajasthan
- 18 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to State of Rajasthan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Rajasthan
- Posted in Travel State of Kerala Forum "Re: About Neyyar wildlife..."
- Commented on one of RAJASTHANBYCAR's State of Rajasthan travel pages
- Wrote a Review Classic medieval heritage in State of Rajasthan Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Classic medieval heritage"
- updated a State of Rajasthan Travel Page "Land of the Rajputs"
Photos in State of RajasthanSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Kerala Intro, 88 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Goa Intro, 56 reviews, 113 photos
- Udagamandalam Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Karnataka Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tamil Nadu Intro, 22 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Bangalore Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Cornwall Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Brighton Intro, 1 review, 8 photos