"Woodhenge" Amesbury by Justin_goa
Amesbury Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 13 photos
If you continue from Stonehenge towards Amesbury for a couple of miles you will come to a roundabout. Turn left here on the A345 to Marlborough and after almost a mile at the top of a hill there is a sign to Woodhenge where there is a small carpark.
this site was discovered by aerial photography between the wars. It is a Neolithic ceremonial monument (dating from about 2300 BC) and consisted of concentric rings of wooden posts possibly forming a roofed building or a wooden Stonehenge-type monument. It is thought that there may have been nearly 40 similar wooden structures in the ancient kingdom of Wessex - some of them much bigger.
This is an early Bronze Age site that originally consisted of 6 concentric rings of timber posts. It is now marked with concrete pillars representing the width of the timbers posts. The site was surrounded by a henge and had a couseway entrance to the NE marked by entrance pillars.
The site overlooks the huge henge known as Durrington Walls to the north. The shape of the henge is marked on the OS map and sections can still be seen.
Oddly enough, this is a little visited site, 'just round the corner' from Stonehenge. It's not as spectacular as Stonehenge, but has a lot of feeling. Sitting quietly in the centre, I found it very easy to pick up evidence of people from the past moving around in sandalled feet. The stones marking the position of the long gone wooden posts lend themselves to experimental rambles in different patterns!! Woodhenge is in Wiltshire.
The concrete posts mark the positions of the original timbers, evidence for which was obtained by evacuation. The rings are oval, with the long axis aligned on the midsummer sunrise. A bank with a ditch on the inner side surrounded the monument, which was entered by a causeway to the north-east.
Justin_goa's Related Pages
Amesbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Smalltown Wiltshire"
- "Amesbury - A World Heritage Site"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amesbury
- Hotels in Amesbury
- Transportation in Amesbury
- Restaurants in Amesbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amesbury
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Amesbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amesbury
Photos in AmesburySee All Photos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Kerala Intro, 88 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Goa Intro, 56 reviews, 113 photos
- Udagamandalam Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Karnataka Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tamil Nadu Intro, 22 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Bangalore Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Cornwall Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Brighton Intro, 1 review, 8 photos