"My Goa Experience" Top 5 Page for this destination Goa by Justin_goa

Goa Travel Guide: 2,069 reviews and 3,929 photos

First time in Goa

Hello everyone...
I am from Kerala.. south of Kerala in Trivandrum is my home town. Just 12 kms off Kovalam beach. So, beach and beach life were not new to me..still I wonder what made me decide to move to Goa. can't be just beaches!!
I came to Goa in 2002 August without knowing much about the place. Happened to stay in 'Golden Eye Resort' in Calanagute for about 2 weeks... that 2 weeks made me decide to settle in Goa. So I moved in next year 2003 August..
Stayed in Golden Eye for 3 weeks till I found a reasonable accommodation. My life at the beach in Calangute was filled with fun...never realised weeks and months flying by. Now, I have completed my 5 years of stay in Goa..my folks back home tells me that I look like a Goan too...
Life has changed over the last 2years... Goa's corrupt political situation creates lot of socio-economical imbalance. People from North India started coming in with loads of money and started to buy properties and building hotels and huge apartment complexes. Local people cannot afford to buy property anymore. Europeans migrate to spend their retired life in Goa.Goa is turning to be another concrete jungle.. it's debris and garbage everywhere.. authorities are not capable or keen on handling these things. Crime rate is going up.. number of sex crimes have increased many folds.. drug dealers are walking free.. as usual authorities are playing blame game .. night life is not attractive anymore as there are so many restrictions on it. No more partying in Goa.. live music is not allowed after 10 pm!!
We are seriously considering to relocate to quieter parts...Goa is not Goa anymore!! What a shame...
Tourism in Goa is heading the wrong way at the moment..

• Pros:Quiet life, low cost of living, easy and relaxed life
  • Cons:worst public service, transport. Shutting down during monsoon..
  • In a nutshell:Great place if you have money in the bank and don't have to work hard for a living!!
  • Last visit to Goa: Aug 2002
  • Intro Updated Dec 22, 2008

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Great page

• Andrew_W_K's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2009 at 1:27 AM

Interesting tips on Goa. If I was going I wouldn't waste money on a guide book I'd just print off your tips.

• Pablos_new's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2009 at 10:01 PM

I should be back as I've missed a lot :)))

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Hi Justin - you have been working hard on your pages - very nice job! Love Kamat Hotel & Mapusa Market & used to live by the church in Saligao! Hope all is well there. Too hot here!!

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Super pages. Thanks for sharing!!

• Balam's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2009 at 2:40 AM

fantastic tips and pics on Goa, It's a place i would love to visit. Loved the restaurant tips.

• mazzap's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Great page on Goa Justin! I especially like the look of the Casa boutique hotel....nice luxurious looking rooms :-) Marion.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Thank you for the Goa tips, I especially like the beach on the main page.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Sad to learn about what's happening in Goa's state. Maybe, things will change if there is no graft and corruption. But, it's everywhere...

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2008 at 6:20 AM

Good page and tips on Goa-nice pics too

Justin_goa Used To Live Here!

Justin_goa

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.”

Badges & Stats in Goa