"The Great Tew" Oxfordshire by Justin_goa
Oxfordshire Travel Guide: 1,435 reviews and 3,073 photos
the A361 is the main road from Banbury to Chipping Norton. Hardly a great arterial highway, but the high, broad land beyond South Newington encourages a bit of open driving, drinking in the views over the fields on our right, glimpsing into the pretty valleys of Warwickshire...
Great Tew is a picture book Cotswold village having recently been much restored after years of neglect. It consists of delightful cottages with thatched and gabled roofs, mullioned windows and charming flower beds set among green meadows and fruit orchards which run down to a little brook. Many of the thriving ever-green trees were planted over 200 years ago.
The attractive old pub, the Falkland Arms, is very popular
The Cotswolds are a range of hills reaching 1000' at their southern end with Cleeve Hill, fading gently down to the north and Edge Hill. Great Tew is one of many small villages built of honey-coloured Liassic ironstone (it is green when freshly quarried, and full of fossil Brachiopod shells). Even today many of the houses are roofed with straw thatch or real and very heavy Stonesfield stone 'slates', actually a flaky limestone from another nearby village.
The house in the centre has long been the village shop; it has in its time been Post Office, general stores and gossip centre for those unable or too poor to be able to travel further. Today it has a more fashionable quality to it, but it still sells a wide range of foods, and smartly-dressed mothers can be seen nipping in for a forgotten pint of milk or emergency box of ice cream.
The villagers worked on the land, or as butcher, baker, grocer, pub landlord, blacksmith, carter, potter, wheelwright, farrier. Today one has to travel to Africa, Asia or Latin America to see something of the old way of life. But if you sit in a village pub on a quiet day in mid-week when the locals are minding their own business, and if you are very discreet, and sup your ale thoughtfully, you may just catch out of the corner of your eye a glimpse of the people at their old hobbit-ways. Or maybe you'll just imagine it.
In Nether Worton a Victorian postbox had been set into a gatepost. Note the signs of wear by the lock.
- In a nutshell:My dream of visitng English counrtyside came true....!!!!
Justin_goa's Related Pages
Oxfordshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historic County of Oxfordshire"
- "Country Houses & Thatched Roof Villages"
- "A glimpse at some Cotswold villages"
- "BLENHEIM PALACE"
- "Oxford, is there any other university?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oxfordshire
- Hotels in Oxfordshire
- Transportation in Oxfordshire
- Nightlife in Oxfordshire
- Restaurants in Oxfordshire
- Shopping in Oxfordshire
- Warnings and Dangers in Oxfordshire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oxfordshire
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Oxfordshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oxfordshire
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Kerala Intro, 88 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Goa Intro, 56 reviews, 113 photos
- Udagamandalam Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Karnataka Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tamil Nadu Intro, 22 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Bangalore Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Cornwall Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Brighton Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (19)
Top Oxfordshire hotels
- Oxford Hotels
- 965 Reviews - 2035 Photos
- Burford Hotels
- 40 Reviews - 89 Photos
- Banbury Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 215 Photos
- Henley on Thames Hotels
- 23 Reviews - 64 Photos
- Abingdon-on-Thames Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 57 Photos
- Woodstock Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 43 Photos
- Witney Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 4 Photos
- Rollright Stones Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 26 Photos
- Dorchester Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 38 Photos
- Chipping Norton Hotels
- 53 Reviews - 105 Photos
- Bicester Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 16 Photos