"Moor Moor Moor" Exmoor National Park by rickyvilla81
Exmoor National Park Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 55 photos
The Wilds of <b>Exmoor</b> are much less wild than Dartmoor, but no less breathtaking. One of the most beautiful areas in the southwest, and relatively difficult to reach by public transport, the moorland that straddles north Devon and Somerset is really a great place to get away from it all. I came here a few times in my mid-teens, camping by the sea, walking over the tors, checking out the ghost stories, and it left an impression on me. The villages are small, the hills often barren and spooky, the valleys green and full of legend. Exmoor was the setting for Blackmore's novel <b>Lorna Doone</b>, as well as the children's tale <b>Tarka the Otter</b>.
Bringing Devon and Somerset together, Exmoor is one place where you can really enjoy - if that is the word - the traditional West Country brew <b>Scrumpy</b> , a viciously strong cider that only the brave or the foolish would drink too much of!
The coastal towns offer epic cliffs and fresh Atlantic fish; Lynmouth in particular is nic for a daytrip, but was the scene of terrible flooding in the 1950s. Simonsbath's history goes back centuries to smuggler days, and Winsford, in the heart of the moor, is one of the most picturesque villages in the country.
Exmoor is great for walking, and you'll see lots of wildlife, from birds of prey to the famous Exmoor ponies. You may even catch a glimpse or hear the snarl of the infamous <b>Beast of Exmoor</b>, a large black cat-like creature that has terrorised farmers for dacades.
rickyvilla81's Related Pages
Exmoor National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rain - Sun - Rain - Sun - Rain - Sun..."
- "North Devon > Exmoor"
- "Glorious Exmoor"
- "Moor Moor Moor"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Exmoor National Park
- Hotels in Exmoor National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Exmoor National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Exmoor National Park
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Exmoor National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Exmoor National Park
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aix-en-Provence Intro, 63 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 25 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charleroi Intro, 31 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- California Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos
- Marseille Intro, 17 reviews, 13 photos
- New York City Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Europe Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Prague Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos