London Restaurant Tips by rickyvilla81

London Restaurants: 3,045 reviews and 4,255 photos

My stag Night at Belgo Noord, 2004 - London

My stag Night at Belgo Noord, 2004

Belgo: A bit of brussels

There are several Belgo restaurants in London these days. Founded in the 90s (by a Canadian and a Dane, I'm told) they have now sprung up all over the capital, be it as restaurant or bierodrome.
Why on Earth would you eat Belgian in London? Because believe me, and I used to live in Belgium, they love their food. Moules frites - mussels and chips - are the main order of the day, naturally, but there is plenty more besides.
But the main reason would be the BEER. Belgians love their beers, and make the best ones in the world, I kid you not. Belgo has a pretty big selection, thankfully including KWAK and FRUIT DEFENDU... see my Belgian pages for why.

Favorite Dish: There is this dish of a platter of mussels covered in cheese and spinach and it is GOOD!

Comparison: about average

Directions: Main one is in Covent Garden, Belgo Zentrale. Belgo Noord is in Chalk Farm, and there are Bierodromes in Islington, Kingsway and Clapham...

Phone: 020 7813 2233

Price: US$21-30

Rating: 4

Theme: Other

• Updated Feb 7, 2005
Santa Fe: New Mexico in Islington Santa Fe, Islington Review

We came here one saturday evening, this cool looking eatery on Upper Street. Angela of course loves Mexican food, being from California, but this wasn't actually Mexican - it's New Mexican, that is, from the State.
The interior is very cool, lots of deep colour adobe style and an open view kitchen so you can see the very talented chefs at work. There is a large range of cocktails, both alcoholic and non, but I went for a beer.
The menu is nice, a great design but the main thing is the food on it - lots to choose from.

Favorite Dish: I've forgotten what we ate! I had it written down. I know I had these three different enchiladas made with beans and various cheeses, but I have forgotten what Anglea had - I remember it looked incredible.

Address: 75 Upper St, Islington

Comparison: about average

Directions: About ten minutes walk either way from Angel tube (northern line), or Highbury and Islington (Victoria line).

Phone: 0207 288 2288

Price: US$21-30

Rating: 0

Theme: Mexican

Website: http://www.santafe.co.uk

• Written Jul 5, 2003
Brick Lane

Around the world, people laugh at the UK for its food. What they forget is that Britain had an Empire, and has reaped the rewards of that primarily through the introductions of those cultures to this country. This manifests itself most deliciously in cuisine, and none more so than that of the sub-continent.
Although not strictly Indian, the restaurants of Brick Lane provide the best. It is known - officially, now - as Bangla Town, for its large Bangladeshi population. The Bangladeshi meals that you will eat on Brick Lane are typical Indian fare, but there are so many of them, and almost all have good quality for not too much cost. Indian food is great in the UK - many of the dishes were actually coined here, by immigrants, so you could say that you will find better Indian food here than in India, just like the Mexican food in California is more typical than in Mexico. Let us not forget that the nation's favourite dish is not Fish and Chips, but Chicken Tikka Masala.

Favorite Dish: The one I used to frequent was the Standard Balti - I would come here at least once a week with my mate Tel. All the chicken dishes are good, but I totally recommend the Special Fried Rice - it is the best in London.
Also, most places here allow you to bring your own wine or beer, and will not charge you for opening or glasses.

Address: Brick Lane, E1

Comparison: least expensive

Directions: East London. Get off at Aldgate East (Hammersmith &City/District lines) and walk down Brick Lane, which turns off Whitechapel Road.

Price: less than US$10

Rating: 0

Theme: Indian

• Written Mar 25, 2003

rickyvilla81 Was Born Here!

rickyvilla81

“who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?”

Badges & Stats in London