"Aix marks the Spot" Top 5 Page for this destination Aix-en-Provence by rickyvilla81

Aix-en-Provence Travel Guide: 331 reviews and 716 photos

Nestled in the shadow of the grand Montagne St. Victoire which looms like a tidal wave frozen in time, Aix-en-Provence , once the home of Cezanne and Zola - now the home of John Malkovich - is one of the more charming of French cities, small enough for a daytrip, large enough for a lifetime.

But enough of that. I spent a year living and working there among the Aixois, catching the capital of Provence in all its seasons, tasting all its flavours. There, I taught English among other things at the Universite de Provence, an enormous institution that is vital to the city - here you will find masses of tourists in the summer, but thousands of students throughout the year.

In fact, I met my wife here, on a rainy February evening back in 2002. We have our favourite romantic spots in Aix, such as La Pizza, and the Place d'Albertas.

I've been back a few times since I left, I love this place. Last time I went I climbed up St.Victoire again. I think I know a fair bit about the place, but each to their own. I hope you like what I've posted!

GO TO AIX!!!
PETE KNOWS HIS STUFF!!!
CLIMB ST.VICTOIRE!!!
GO TO THE MARKET!!!
EAT POULET-FRITES!!!

• Pros:full of history
  • Cons:also full of dog poo
  • Last visit to Aix-en-Provence: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 14, 2006

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Nice page

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2006 at 7:04 PM

Update on John Malkovich. I was in Aix last January and a friend of mine who works at the travel agency near the Monoprix on the Cours told me that JM no longer lives there. He may have moved to Paris, but I have also heard he'd moved to Boston.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2006 at 11:56 PM

Rickie, I returned to your great page - this time because we booked a flight to Marseille and I am looking for info on where to base ourselves: Aix or Marseille! You got ME convinced already! Thanks!

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2005 at 4:35 PM

Well done - thanks for taking the time to share such great info/photos. Cheers!

• rwlittle's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2005 at 8:56 PM

What camera did you use to take that photo??? ;)

• IceBear7's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2005 at 3:10 PM

brilliant info, thx

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2005 at 4:30 AM

Wonderful city for an artist. You are lucky to have been there for a year. I could use some of that sunshine right now. Loved the tree lined street.

• lomi's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2004 at 1:44 PM

Suppositry type medication is also popular in Spain! I know, I was given a large 'pill' for an attack of vertigo, but hey it works.

• tpal's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2004 at 8:25 AM

We're thinking of Provence for our next big trip and have just started the research. Your site is a great jumping off point. Thanks for the inspiration ...Tom

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2004 at 2:57 PM

Brilliant page, really helpful tips for our upcoming trip.

rickyvilla81

“who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?”

Badges & Stats in Aix-en-Provence

Have you been to Aix-en-Provence?

Latest Activity in Aix-en-Provence