"Strasbourg - Straßburg" Strasbourg by rickyvilla81
Strasbourg Travel Guide: 926 reviews and 2,778 photos
Capital of Alsace, and other capital of Europe. Strasbourg is possibly my favourite city to visit in Europe, after Prague, and almost as beautiful. Certainly it is one of my favourite places in France, if only because German is freely understood here. Totally dominated by the giant cathedral, which points an accusing finger to the heavens, and can be seen for miles around as you approach the city, Strasbourg is a bed of sweet roses nestled within a jungle of thorns, in the form of the high-rise estates so characterisitc of France.
The modern mingles almost seemlessly with the ancient, as you can see with the tram here in Place de l'homme de fer (iron-man square). To find out how that square got its name, along with Strasbourg's other colourful noms de rue, check out my travelogue.
You cannot help but wish that in many ways Strasbourg should have remained German, if only to continue its tradition of beautiful germanic architecture. However, this is not to say that this is a poor town - far from it. Nor is it fair to say that this is not a French town, because it is. The people of Alsace are very proud to be French, indeed the national anthem La Marseilleise was written not in the Bouches des Rhone but in Strasbourg.
It is calm, much calmer than most French cities (except at Christmas during the Marches de Noel!!) , yet geographically perfect in that you can just as easily reach Prague as Paris. If you are considering a visit to europe and cannot make your mind up between France and Germany, choose Strasbourg - it's one of the continent's true gems.
This is the Maison Kammerzell as it approaches the enormous Cathedrale. Strasbourg was volleyed between France and... more travel advice
Aaaah...exploring Petite France, probably. Beautifully narrow mediaeval area, resplendant with canals and wooden... more travel advice
rickyvilla81's Related Pages
Strasbourg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marchés de Noël in Strasbourg"
- "WHICH COUNTRY DO I BELONG TO!"
- "weekend in Strasbourg"
- "Strasbourg - At the crossroads of Europe"
- "First stop Strasbourg......"
- "European town"
- "Opera and Cycling in Strasbourg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Strasbourg
- Hotels in Strasbourg
- Transportation in Strasbourg
- Nightlife in Strasbourg
- Restaurants in Strasbourg
- Shopping in Strasbourg
- Warnings and Dangers in Strasbourg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Strasbourg
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Strasbourg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Strasbourg
Photos in StrasbourgSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aix-en-Provence Intro, 63 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 25 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charleroi Intro, 31 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- California Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos
- Marseille Intro, 17 reviews, 13 photos
- New York City Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Europe Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Prague Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Latest Strasbourg hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Strasbourg City Center
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Hotel Arc-En-Ciel
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 18, 2013
- Formule 1 Strasbourg Pont de l'Europe
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 2, 2013
- Maison Rouge Hotel
- 149 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Hotel Cathedrale
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 13, 2013
- Ibis Strasbourg Centre Ponts Couverts
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Premiere Classe Strasbourg
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 20, 2013
- Auberge de jeunesse Rene Cassin
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2012
- Novotel Strasbourg Centre Halles
- 102 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Etap Hotel Strasbourg Centre Gare
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 11, 2013
- Hotel Regent Petite France
- 223 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 13, 2013
- Hotel Michelet
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- HOTEL DES PRINCES
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 17, 2013
- Residence Jean-Sebastien Bach
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013