Xi'an Transportation Tips by walterwu
Xi'an Transportation: 74 reviews and 89 photos
Soft Sleeper Compartment
Managed to booked 5 soft sleepers on the train from Xi'an to Beijing. My wife shared rooms with 3 ladies while me and kids take a whole compartment with 4 soft sleepers.
This new train is an all soft sleepers at 417RMB for lower level and 408RMB for upper level. No hard sleepers, soft seats or hard seats.
Available on the same train in a single carriage, is the Executive Soft Sleeper with 2 soft sleeper with attached toilet and a sofa. Price about 700RMB.
The journey was very smooth and the toilet was clean.
Each soft sleeper comes complete with a LCD TV. i.e. 4 LCD per compartment.
Best to book the tickets 2 days in advance.
Train Station is on the north side of the City wall and next to the Bus Station. Taxi fare to the Train Station should be in the region of 6-10RMB (pending distance). 6RMB is departing from North Main Street.
Train departs about 7:30pm and getting a cab at about 5:00pm (during office rush hours) is a problem. Advised from locals - catch a cab from the north bound traffic on the North Main Street if you are staying in the vicinity of the Bell Tower.
On arrival at Xi'an domestic airport, looked around for a Taxi and couldn't locate even a single taxi.
Ended up paying 110RMB for a private taxi to take us to City Centre. On the way to the carpark at the airport, noticed all the taxis were waiting at the departure building (yes, departure building - not level) next block.
Why are all the taxis waiting at the departure building, I have no idea.
Anyway, within the City, a taxi by meter should not cost more than 10RMB.
On another day, tried to bargain down a single trip from Terracotta Warriors back to City at 40RMB. No go. The taxi driver politely pointed to the area to take the public bus (Big Green 306 Bus).
No problem getting a taxi to Banpo village at 30RMB. Should have bargain down further. Took a bus back to ChangLe XiLu.
Going to train station by taxi. Make a mistake by waiting for a taxi on the South Main Street. Was advised by locals to hail a cab on the North Main Street (i.e. North of Bell Tower) during the evening rush hours.
Type: Car/Motor Home
Back to Bus Station by Big Green 306 Bus
Going to the Bus Station (next to the Train Station) was a nightmare. Lots of touts who would follow you around and try to persuade you to take their transportation at 10RMB (round trip) which is comparable with the Big Green Bus 306.
Best way to get rid of them is to say that you have had visited those terracotta warriors, etc.
On the way to the Terracotta Warriors, my wife decided to take up their offer and we ended up going from tourist shops to tourist shops. After 2 tourist shops stopover, I told them to take us direct to Terrracotta which they obliged but I paid 10RMB each.
Took a Big Green 306 Bus from the parking lot at the Terracotta Warriors site and the journey was smooth and pleasant.
Remember, avoid any offer and head straight for the Big Green 306 Bus.
More Reviews (21)
- See All To Buy Or Not to Buy
- Flying Kite
- See All To Miss or Not To Miss
- Travel Lite
- Giving Touts the Bush Off
walterwu's Related Pages
Xi'an Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The echo of ancient"
- "Xian "Peaceful western part of China""
- "Shifting cities"
- "Beautiful Xi'an"
- "Xian - our stopover to see the Terracotta Army"
- "Qing Ming @Xi'an"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Xi'an
- Hotels in Xi'an
- Transportation in Xi'an
- Nightlife in Xi'an
- Restaurants in Xi'an
- Shopping in Xi'an
- Warnings and Dangers in Xi'an
- See All...
Explore the World
- Mount Shasta
- Fuengirola Hotels
- South Pender Island
- Bahia Drake Hotels
- Kampong Telok Salang Hotels
- Uzunkopru Hotels
Badges & Stats in Xi'an
- 24 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Xi'an?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Xi'an
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 105 photos
- Singapore Intro, 27 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 57 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 20 reviews, 42 photos
- Penang Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 15 reviews, 35 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 11 reviews, 35 photos
- Xi'an Intro, 24 reviews, 19 photos
- Sapporo Intro, 8 reviews, 33 photos
Latest Xi'an hotel reviews
- Sofitel Xian On Renmin Square
- 784 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Xi'an Le Garden Hotel
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Melody Hotel Xi'an
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013
- Bell Tower Hotel Xi'an
- 275 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Grand Mercure on Renmin Square Xi'an
- 243 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Jinshi International Hotel
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2011
- 7 Sages International Youth Hostel / Qixian Hostel
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Xi'an Fukai Hotel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 4, 2013
- Royal Garden Hotel Xian
- 196 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Tianyu Gloria Plaza Hotel Xian
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Han Tang Inn Youth Hostel
- 103 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Xi'an Fenghe International Youth Hostel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Jiahe Business Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Aurum International
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
- Canaan International Hotel
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 28, 2013
- Terracotta Army- 160 Reviews, 352 Photos
- Muslim Quarters- 62 Reviews, 124 Photos
- City Wall- 62 Reviews, 149 Photos
- Wild Goose Pagodas- 51 Reviews, 84 Photos
- Drum and Bell Tower- 58 Reviews, 116 Photos
- Huaqing Hot Springs- 15 Reviews, 34 Photos
- Museums- 31 Reviews, 78 Photos
- Banpo Neolithic Village- 15 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Tang Dynasty Tombs- 5 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Fa Men Si- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos