"I Like This 'Stan'" Top 5 Page for this destination Turkmenistan by mizzzthanggg

Turkmenistan Travel Guide: 200 reviews and 607 photos

My First 2 Days In Turkmenistan

The idea of visiting Turkmenistan was very exciting for me as I'd never even been to Russia, much less any FSU countries before. So u do your search on VT and rest of the Internet for info on the country, and there's certainly not much. And must say i was disappointed with the tips i'd read anyway, because it painted a scary picture of a police state, bad cops, lots of suspicion and such like. But having been to Sudan and Niger and places like that in Africa that have gotten a bad rep I was sort of prepared for the worst.

So wasn't i absolutely surprised to find it to be very safe, remarkably clean and orderly, with great food, cosy cafes and the luvliest people u'd find anywhere! And a lot to see n do behind the gleaming marble facades you see in the city. Yes maybe it was only 2 days for me here so far, but you know what they say. First impressions count!

So there will certainly need to be some tips written to sort out the misunderstanding. Pls see my General Tips to start with for further info!

Updated: I have just changed my home location to Ashgabat since I've been living here for 1.5 years now, do come see :)

• Last visit to Turkmenistan: Jul 2007

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:51 AM

Keep the tips flowing!!!

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Great tips and photos. Glad to see that you had a good time in Turkmenistan. Best from New Jersey, Bill

• aliamiri's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2008 at 2:22 AM

Mizzie, nice describtions for Turkmenistan, thank you ... and hope to see more practical tips.

• originalribenababy's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2008 at 8:09 AM

thanks for your helpful page :) I'm just begining to look into Turkmenistan and you have reassured me :)

• Travelchili's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2007 at 7:11 AM

This night photo looks just perfect. I can't wait to read and see more; it's one of the places I'd love to visit in the near future, too, as things may change there and then it'll not be the same anymore...

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2007 at 7:52 PM

THANK YOU THANK YOU for the lovely lovely beautiful postcard :D

• starship's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Great observations, and luv your photos. I've heard other cultures not liking photos taken of them for the same reason, but for the life of me I can't remember who at this moment. Looking forward to more great pages here.

• barbskie's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2007 at 1:00 PM

You must have an unforgetable travel here. cheers!

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2007 at 11:40 PM

Stan the Turkmenis Man!

mizzzthanggg

“it's all good :)”

Badges & Stats in Turkmenistan

Have you been to Turkmenistan?