"Thalam Ashgabatdan" Ashgabat by mizzzthanggg
Ashgabat Travel Guide: 135 reviews and 295 photos
Welcome to my newly-built Ashgabat page :)
What's up in this photo? No, I wasn't about to start a massive BBQ... this was me at Hell's Gate! Come see what it's about in Off The Beaten Path Darwaza
Next stop: Kugitang Nature Reserve, in search of dinosaur tracks. Watch this space.
After a year & half of travelling back n forth almost monthly between Malaysia & Turkmenistan, I was finally transferred to our Ashgabat office and am now based here.
Definitely lots to say & tip about Turkmenistan, there's plenty going on behind the gleaming marble facades you see in the city. Did you know that Turkmenistan is one of the world's largest consumer of white Italian marble? Apparently they now have to import from elsewhere 'cos they need so much (this I found out from a Turkish guy though, so no guarantees on accuracy). Latest news is that they're soon going to add marble edgings to the roads in the capital. Swish!
One of my most memorable trips in Turkmenistan was a short offshore visit to our operations in the Caspian Sea. After 9 years of working in the industry I finally landed on a drilling rig and platform. Great fun, and pretty eye-opening. All the buzz and activity centered around a small hole in the ground hoping for it to spew out oil or gas in commercial quantities.
Weather was kinda foggy and daunting but we made it safely there and back. Something different than offshore visits back in Malaysia, being winter time we had to don immersion suits to fly in the helicopter to the different units and then on the units itself you had to change into coveralls and all the safety gear... but we got a kick out of it pretending we were on some space mission.
This is the first Darwaza crater in the trilogy of abandoned gas wells in the middle of Karakum Desert situated north of... more travel advice
Turkmenistan is filled with awesome stuff to do which most travellers may not get to see due to lack of time or info...... more travel advice
mizzzthanggg's Related Pages
Ashgabat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The City Of Love"
- "Ashgabat, the City of White Marble !"
- "Ashgabat - the city that keeps on changing"
- "Thalam Ashgabatdan"
- "The White City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ashgabat
- Hotels in Ashgabat
- Transportation in Ashgabat
- Nightlife in Ashgabat
- Restaurants in Ashgabat
- Shopping in Ashgabat
- Warnings and Dangers in Ashgabat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ashgabat
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Ashgabat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ashgabat
Photos in AshgabatSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Lipe Intro, 12 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 13 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kampong Belum Baharu Intro, 3 reviews, 30 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Tao Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 5 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ashgabat Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos
- Muar Intro, 2 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kampong Tanjong Gemok Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue