"Thalam Ashgabatdan" Ashgabat by mizzzthanggg

Ashgabat Travel Guide: 129 reviews and 284 photos

Great Balls Of Fire!

Welcome to my newly-built Ashgabat page :)

What's up in this photo? No, I wasn't about to start a massive BBQ... this was me at Hell's Gate! Come see what it's about in Off The Beaten Path Darwaza

Next stop: Kugitang Nature Reserve, in search of dinosaur tracks. Watch this space.

Based in Turkmenistan - since July 07

After a year & half of travelling back n forth almost monthly between Malaysia & Turkmenistan, I was finally transferred to our Ashgabat office and am now based here.

Definitely lots to say & tip about Turkmenistan, there's plenty going on behind the gleaming marble facades you see in the city. Did you know that Turkmenistan is one of the world's largest consumer of white Italian marble? Apparently they now have to import from elsewhere 'cos they need so much (this I found out from a Turkish guy though, so no guarantees on accuracy). Latest news is that they're soon going to add marble edgings to the roads in the capital. Swish!

Feb 09 - In The Line Of Work

One of my most memorable trips in Turkmenistan was a short offshore visit to our operations in the Caspian Sea. After 9 years of working in the industry I finally landed on a drilling rig and platform. Great fun, and pretty eye-opening. All the buzz and activity centered around a small hole in the ground hoping for it to spew out oil or gas in commercial quantities.

Weather was kinda foggy and daunting but we made it safely there and back. Something different than offshore visits back in Malaysia, being winter time we had to don immersion suits to fly in the helicopter to the different units and then on the units itself you had to change into coveralls and all the safety gear... but we got a kick out of it pretending we were on some space mission.

• Last visit to Ashgabat: Mar 2010
  • Intro Updated Mar 11, 2010

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2014 at 9:31 AM

These wells are fascinating places.... Hell?? , no just beautiful nature... with some human input.... Hope to visit this year.... Oh btw, Petronas ? :)

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2012 at 9:56 AM

cool hell, mud and water pics!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Wow! Beauty in nature! Great photos of this fascinating place!

• DSwede's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Always looking for places less traveled. I've just added this to my list.

• dunearn20's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Enjoy your stay, I would love to discover that region a bit more.

• Mar 11, 2010 at 4:36 PM

the water well does kind of look like lake sucia in el chalten! haha. quite different landscapes though. lol. cool tips winz x

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2010 at 3:45 AM

Cool tips Mizzie!

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Winnie, living in Ashgabat must be special. I look forward to more insider tips from you. My two days visit was too short.

mizzzthanggg Lives Here!

mizzzthanggg

“it's all good :)”

Badges & Stats in Ashgabat

Have you been to Ashgabat?

Latest Activity in Ashgabat