"My Second Cirebon Trip" Cirebon by braveneil

Cirebon Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 86 photos

Things you can do in Jakarta

This was my second visit to Cirebon. My first trip was basically climbing Mount Ciremai. This time was for relaxing to walk around Cirebon.

Sangkanurip road is generally a resort strip. Here is where you can find quite a number of hotels ranging from low budget to expensive 5 stars.

The one I stayed is "Hotel Mata Air". It is a budget type and cost Rph. 77,000 including tax. There is no toilet flushing system, you got to force splash a pail of water to push your load down. I guess this is typical to budget hotel. It has a rectangular ceramic tiles bathtub and warm natural spring water leads into it. Soak all you want. Not bad for a budet hotel.

Hotel Mata Air
Jl. Raya Cipanas No. 208
Sangkanurip - Cilimus - Kuningan 45556 Jawa Barat
Tel: 0232 - 613202

In my stay, I observed that it is quite a popular budget hotel for the locals. There is a karaoke lounge and dining restaurant and well priced room rates. And perhaps because of these reasons, there are always a group of 'working girls' sitting around. But they are not agressive and generally passive. Rest assured that they will not pester or grab you. In my first night stay, there was this stunner who was sitting near to the check-in counter. When I briefly looked at her, thinking that she might be a hotel maid, she just had a split second eye contact with me and then looked away. I was later told that she is one of the working girl. Just don't give any signal and you will be alright and peaceful.

I was fortunate enough to meet this old masseuse guy. Not only can he speak english, he gives hell of a good massage. By pressing on certain parts of your body, he can tell what what are the problems without you telling. Throughout my stay, he is my great communication tool. Because I can't speak and hear a single Bahasa Indonesian. And 99.9% of the locals don't speak English. His name is Eddy, find him when you are there. Not only he is a great help, he will show you a miracle weed called ‘gotu kola’ that you can pluck some and plant it at your own country which I did. A man in China actually lived to 256 years old with the help of this herb.

The owner of the hotel is a lady, her name is Ida. She speaks very little English. Extremely kind and friendly. And very hardworking yet full of smiles.

Unless you are accompanied with friends or can speak Bahasa, you cannot stay for more than one day. You will absolutely be bored to death. Check-in around evening when it is still not dark and start your next day at about 8am to visit the famous 'Keraton Kasepuhan, Cirebon (sultan of Kasepuhan royal palace)' , the market place nearby, a delicious chinese seafood lunch at Magna (formally Maxim's),batik shopping and then back to the hotel to have a swim at the public hot and cold spring water swimming pool just right in front of Hotel Mata Air.

Magna Seafood and Chinese Food Restaurant ( English, Chinese and Cantonese speaking found here.)

Here is the address -

Jl. Syarief Abdurachman /
Jl. Bahagia 45 - 47
Tel: (0231) 208045 or 203185

For batik, if you don’t want to go to the Trusmi village. Go to a shop near this restaurant, it is only a short ride on the trishaw. Ask for the famous mega mendung, or Chinese influenced stormy clouds pattern batik design that is distinctively Cirebon.

Here is the address –

Mulia Toko Batik
Jl. Lemahwungkuk No. 134
Tel: (0231) 234304 or 208506

From Cirebon and back to Jakarta

I figured out that it is quite easy to go to this place from Jakarta. Because I took an aircon bus right at the mouth of Sangkanurip road back to Jarkarta. I waited for the one with aircon for not too long. Those that are non-aircon passes by almost once every 5mins. First, ask the hotel staff which way to walk out. Once out of this road cross to the opposite and wait. Look out for the buses that have the word 'Luragung' or 'Sahabat'. Most likely they will automatically stop and ask you if you want to board it. By the way, if you say aircon, they will unlikely understand what you say. You need to say AC pronounced as 'Are-See'. and follow by hand and head signal, they will understand. I paid Rp. 45,000 for the aircon bus, standard priced ticket. The whole journey back takes about 6 hours. So I presumed that coming from Jakarta should take about the same time.

Coming from Jakarta, you should be able to sleep in the bus for 5 hours and you still cannot miss this place. What you can do is write the word 'Sangkanurip' on a piece of paper and gives to the bus conductor, and bug him once a while and they will understand to alight you. Prepares lots of rp. coins, because there will be frequent buskers coming into the bus and perform. There was this lady that even brought her portable karaoke mic set to the bus and sing.

• Last visit to Cirebon: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated Feb 7, 2006

• Oct 30, 2011 at 7:59 AM

I am looking for a male masseuse in or near Cipanas, Jawa Barat, Indonesia. I can not speak any indonesian. Woman are not strong enough for me and the men/young men give best massage that I have experience.

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Cirebon

Have you been to Cirebon?

Latest Activity in Cirebon