"Life is short! Use it!" bapak's Profile

The Start!

When I was nine, my father took me to a cinema to see a movie from New Guinea showing headhunters etc., and I said to him, that I would go there someday. Of course he laughed.

My first trip outside Denmark was in 1953, when my Parents took me on the boat from Copenhagen to Malmoe in Sweden. I was 10 years old, and it took a very-very long time to go there,- 1 1/2 hour.

Outside Scandinavia

14 years old,- "a young man".

I went on a very BIG trip away from home,-(read: My mother),-. to Harzen in Germany. It was with my school class. As far as I remember the holiday with the bus from Copenhagen took 10 days totally. We went to Rothenburgh and Rüdesheim. We saw The Lorelei Cliff, and I saw a lot of pretty girls.

A long way from Home.

The year is 1960, and I'm an adult,- :). I know everything:).

That year I took a trip with a friend as far away as Costa Brava in Spain,- with a bus.
The trip was totally 10 days. 2 days from Copenhagen to Spain and 2 days back. After 3 days in Spain we were out of money, and our fellow travellers,- (the really adults) helped us. :)

Wonderful Years.

"It is about time you grow up", my father said to me, and so said the Army!

I had to join the Army in 1962, and to my surprice,- I just loved it, and spend some years in The Royal Danish Engineers Corps, of which I am very proud.

Among other places, I went to Cypress in 1964 with UN, and I got many friends among the Greek and Turkey people there. They were all sorry about the differences among them.

Years with "travel dreams".

Got married! It was in 1965. 2 boys. One born i 1965,-funny enough,-only after having been married in 5 month. My other son is born in 1969.

The "travelling" at that time was only "in my mind". Well, I remember a trip to West Berlin, and that must have been in 1965,- of course crossing "Checkpoint Charlie" to The East.

Further away from Denmark.

1974. Trip to Spain, Torreblanca. Swimming Pool,- + a lot of other tourists.

1976. Trip to Austria. Skiing! Much to cold for me.

1984. Florida. Wonderful.

1986. U.S.A. East to West. JUST wonderful.

Got the Fewer.

I was totally lost! I got the "backpacking-fewer".

Travelling to different places in Europe, and finally to New Guinea (Irian jaya) in 1994, so I kept my promise from 1952 to my father.

Back to Indonesia in 1997-99-2002 and 2006,- and I have lost my heart to that country and the people there.

Love backpacking.

And it goes on and on:

South Africa, Lesotho and Swaziland 1999.
Australia 2001
Malaysia and Thailand 2003.
Malta 2004.
Summer 2007: U.S.A.
Autumn 2007: Dominican Republic.
May 2008 Myanmar.
Jan 2009 Antarctica.
Jan, 2010 Australia & Indonesia.
Oct. 2010. Tanzania & Zanzibar.
Jun. 2011. Cyprus.

• Intro Updated May 29, 2011

• takla73's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2012 at 2:16 PM

HAPPY happy bithday KURT and have a nice day Greeting from Alexandria Egypt Mary Ann & TAKLA

• DaHongHua's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2012 at 10:10 PM

A warm happy birthday greeting to you from Malaysia.

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2009 at 10:57 PM

Long time no see, everything ok on your part of the world?

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Happy birthday! Wish you a nice day :) cheers from Mexico, and I hope you can come to my country someday, I'm sure you'll love it!

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Happy Birthday from sunny California! Here's to many more wonderful years!

• Sep 5, 2007 at 1:37 AM

thanks for visiting my santo domingo page. i presume you are visiting? you will enjoy it, its fantastic! regards, willy_wonka

• daisyrine's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2007 at 1:06 AM

I hope im not too late,Happy Belated Birthday. Hope you are ok there. will write soon. Take care.

• Barbie2138's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2007 at 3:20 AM

Happy Birthday Kurt....Live It....Enjoy it!

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2007 at 10:46 PM

Kurt, Happy Birthday to you and enjoy your weekend from sunny Kuala Lumpur. :-)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
bapak's Profile Photo

bapak

“What`s behind the next corner of the world?”

Ranked Member