"Life is short! Use it!" bapak's Profile
When I was nine, my father took me to a cinema to see a movie from New Guinea showing headhunters etc., and I said to him, that I would go there someday. Of course he laughed.
My first trip outside Denmark was in 1953, when my Parents took me on the boat from Copenhagen to Malmoe in Sweden. I was 10 years old, and it took a very-very long time to go there,- 1 1/2 hour.
14 years old,- "a young man".
I went on a very BIG trip away from home,-(read: My mother),-. to Harzen in Germany. It was with my school class. As far as I remember the holiday with the bus from Copenhagen took 10 days totally. We went to Rothenburgh and Rüdesheim. We saw The Lorelei Cliff, and I saw a lot of pretty girls.
The year is 1960, and I'm an adult,- :). I know everything:).
That year I took a trip with a friend as far away as Costa Brava in Spain,- with a bus.
The trip was totally 10 days. 2 days from Copenhagen to Spain and 2 days back. After 3 days in Spain we were out of money, and our fellow travellers,- (the really adults) helped us. :)
"It is about time you grow up", my father said to me, and so said the Army!
I had to join the Army in 1962, and to my surprice,- I just loved it, and spend some years in The Royal Danish Engineers Corps, of which I am very proud.
Among other places, I went to Cypress in 1964 with UN, and I got many friends among the Greek and Turkey people there. They were all sorry about the differences among them.
Got married! It was in 1965. 2 boys. One born i 1965,-funny enough,-only after having been married in 5 month. My other son is born in 1969.
The "travelling" at that time was only "in my mind". Well, I remember a trip to West Berlin, and that must have been in 1965,- of course crossing "Checkpoint Charlie" to The East.
1974. Trip to Spain, Torreblanca. Swimming Pool,- + a lot of other tourists.
1976. Trip to Austria. Skiing! Much to cold for me.
1984. Florida. Wonderful.
1986. U.S.A. East to West. JUST wonderful.
I was totally lost! I got the "backpacking-fewer".
Travelling to different places in Europe, and finally to New Guinea (Irian jaya) in 1994, so I kept my promise from 1952 to my father.
Back to Indonesia in 1997-99-2002 and 2006,- and I have lost my heart to that country and the people there.
And it goes on and on:
South Africa, Lesotho and Swaziland 1999.
Malaysia and Thailand 2003.
Summer 2007: U.S.A.
Autumn 2007: Dominican Republic.
May 2008 Myanmar.
Jan 2009 Antarctica.
Jan, 2010 Australia & Indonesia.
Oct. 2010. Tanzania & Zanzibar.
Jun. 2011. Cyprus.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 19 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 7 Countries
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
- bapak and takla73 are now friends.
- Wrote a Review Petra in Jordan Things to Do
- created a Jordan Travel Page "Jordan"
updated their Profile Page "Life is short! Use it!"
- Posted in Travel Burma Forum "Re: Living expences"
- Uploaded a Photo to "bapak's new USA Page"
Top 5 Pages
- Australia Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Indonesia 5 reviews, 1 photo
- Czech Republic Intro, 4 reviews, 2 photos
- Ireland Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Budapest Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22457 Reviews - 54961 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2699 Reviews - 7919 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2056 Reviews - 3865 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos