"PARALIO ASTROS" Paralion Astros by nickandchris
Paralion Astros Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 199 photos
Returned on 28th May 2006 from a fortnight in Paralio Astros. This was our second holiday here, having spent a week in May 2002. This page has been updated with 2006 info.
14/05/06 saw us arriving at Kalamata airport on the My Travel flight from Manchester, with Manos Holidays. We drove ourselves in a pre-booked car to Paralio Astros, the journey taking just over 2 hours. The roads vary from motorway standard to winding country lanes with plenty of hairpin bends. Since our last visit, 4 years ago, the road has been considerably upgraded and some of the more tortuous bits have been straightened out as much as possible.
Paralio Astros is a small Greek seaside town in coastal Arcadia in the Eastern Peleponnese.
The surrounding countryside is very agricultural with a beautiful mountain backdrop.
Paralio Astros is a very Greek resort catering mainly for the Greeks. Many have holiday homes here which they escape to in July and August. The town is very busy then. Manos are the only major English holiday company present with only around 45 people staying at one time. As we visited in May it was quiet with empty beaches at the beginning of the holiday. As the fortnight progressed, the temperature rose and it was evidently warm enough for the Greeks as the place filled up with them at the weekends and the beaches were much busier than 4 years ago.
There are lots of traditional shops and tavernas as well as two take away souvlaki places. Not all eating establishments were open in May but there was still plenty of choice.
Buildings are a mixture of ancient and modern with some wonderful old properties in the area of the Frankish castle. It is well worth the climb to the castle for the superb panoramic views and the wonderful peace and quiet.
There are two superb sandy beaches, both extending for miles so plenty of room for everyone. A camp site is along a dirt track by the town beach and another in the opposite direction on Vervena Beach, just along from Astygaros. These two beaches are very shallow and more sheltered than the town beach.
There is also a tiny stony beach near the theatre which we were told was excellent snorkling ground.
An outdoor theatre(stadium type) sits at one end of the town. Although not open for performances in May, it's a lovely place to wander to and here you'll undoubtedly meet the odd cat!!!
The only place to change money in 2002 was the P.O. but by 2006 there was an ATM which of course was not always handing out money.There are two banks in the main town of Astros which we only used in 2002, this year taking all our currency with us.
The old town of Nafplio is not far away and the ancient sites of Lerna, Tiryns and Mycenae are within easy reach with transport. Epidavros is an hour or so away and Korinthos not much more.
To read about our holiday here, please see travelogues.
- Pros:No mass package tourism, very Greek
- Cons:A bit more expensive than some places.
- In a nutshell:Don't sit on the beach all day. Explore.
From Paralio Astros it's not too far to the Argolida, the piece of the Peloponnese on the far east. It's surrounded by... more travel advice
If you have your own transport, make sure you visit Plaka. It's about an hour's drive south of Paralio Astros. A real... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Paralion Astros Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Paralion Astros
- Hotels in Paralion Astros
- Transportation in Paralion Astros
- Restaurants in Paralion Astros
- Shopping in Paralion Astros
- Warnings and Dangers in Paralion Astros
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paralion Astros
- 43 Reviews
- 176 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Paralion Astros?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paralion Astros
Photos in Paralion AstrosSee All Photos (176)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 69 reviews, 243 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 68 reviews, 244 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 51 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues