"From Leros To Patmos" Top 5 Page for this destination Patmos by nickandchris
Patmos Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 183 photos
Time was marching on and it was time to move again. Next port of call, Patmos.
We finally managed to catch the evening ferry from Leros to Patmos, arriving at Skala port, after a 2 hour journey, around 9 pm, just as it was getting dark. We needen't have worried about finding a room at this hour as the ferry was met by property owners. We were soon directed to a room in a seedy hotel, for a reasonable rate. It was all a bit basic and run-down but what the heck, we weren't going to look for anything else at this hour. There were 3 toilets and a shower to 3 rooms.
The following morning, we decided to move as there was no drinking water in the hotel, the water was all slightly salty.
Moving was probably a bad move as we ended up in a slightly cheaper room but it was tiny and the rest of the rooms, (5 or 6) were occupied by Scandinavians who liked to spend all day in the one shared bathroom. It was a real pain, trying to grab the bathroom as soon as it was free. Not our best accommodation find, in fact, probably one of the worst experiences we have had with Greek rooms.
Again, we hired a motorbike, this time a clapped out heap that had not been looked after at all. Nothing worked on it and the footrests were absolutely useless. Still, we managed to see the island in our own time.
Patmos is the most northerly island in the Dodecanese chain but is easily reached by the ferries that call in at all the main islands in the chain.
It doesn't take long to "do" an island circuit, it being only 14km. long and 8km. at it's widest. Most of it's residents live in or around Skala, the main port.
Patmos is known as a religious island, owing to St. John the Divine being exiled here in AD95. Whilst living in a cave he had a vision of the downfall of the Roman Empire and wrote of it in the Book of Revelations.
A monastery was built in dedication of St. John, in 1088, when Blessed Christoddoulos was granted permission from the orthodox church.
Today, the island is a magnet for Christian pilgrimages as well as cruise ships, backpackers, yotties and even package holidays.Trips are organised to the monastery, which, I have to admit, we didn't visit. I seem to think it was closed, it being siesta time.I know we didn't find anywhere open in Chora to eat at this time.
Skala nowadays is fairly upmarket with plenty of smart , expensive shops for the cruise ship passengers to linger in. A little different from when we were there; the banking facilities were in a booze shop!!!
I have read somewhere that there is a local law banning promiscuity and "looseness" on the island. I wonder if it still applies?
- Pros:No mass packages
- Cons:Cruise ship destination
- In a nutshell:Deeply indented, not too much development
This appeared to be the local kafeneon in the square in Skala. We frequented this place every night we were on Patmos... more travel advice
I suppose I should give a tip here on visiting the monastery but as we never got to visit I don't feel qualified to.... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Patmos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pilgrimage to Patmos"
- "Patmos, the island of the Apocalypse"
- "From Leros To Patmos"
- "Patmos, Greece"
- "Patmos, Greece"
- "The religious island of Patmos"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Patmos
- Hotels in Patmos
- Transportation in Patmos
- Nightlife in Patmos
- Restaurants in Patmos
- Shopping in Patmos
- Warnings and Dangers in Patmos
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Patmos
- 5 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Patmos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Patmos
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 69 reviews, 243 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 68 reviews, 244 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 51 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues