"In Days Gone By........Paxos" Top 5 Page for this destination Paxoi Island by nickandchris
Paxoi Island Travel Guide: 90 reviews and 258 photos
Having already been to Corfu and being familiar with the airport and port, we decided Paxos was a good destination. I remember we spent the night in Corfu town in a tiny third floor room that a Greek man we had corresponded with, found us. Before turning in we inquired about ferry times and were told the ferry left in the evening. Next day we headed straight for the bus station and caught a bus to Ag. Gordhios and spent the day on the beach.
In the evening we caught the ferry to Paxos and were on our final leg of the journey. We made friends with another English couple on the boat and spent a lot of the holiday with them.
I think the journey was about 3 hours and very enjoyable. First impressions of Paxos was dense greenery everywhere and hardly any buildings.
The ferry navigated the narrow passage between the islands of Panagia and Ag. Nicholas and our first sight of Giaos hove into view. An extremely picturesque arrival and we loved it!
Once off the boat we had to find accommodation, which was no easy feat. Rooms were very much in short supply so we followed a woman who told us she had accommodation. Well, it was a pokey hole in a family's house with a shower miles away and nowhere to sit out so we turned it down politely. Eventually, I don't remember how, we ended up in a modern family house in their dining room. We shared their bathroom but that was no problem. It turned out that the owner was the captain of the boat to Mongonissi Island beach. A very handsome young captain indeed!!!!
We spent days on Mongonissi beach (a man-made beach) as there were no town beaches and also caught the bus to Longos and Lakka. Here we walked to other beaches and enjoyed the beautiful scenery before collapsing in a taverna.
We also hired boats on a few days and circumnavigated the entire island as well as crossing to Anti-Paxos. The days with the boat were the highlight of the holiday on Paxos, we were independant at last and could view the wonderful caves and cliffs at our leisure. Magnificent!!
Paxos lies to the south of Corfu, opposite Parga in western mainland Greece, in the Ionian Sea.
It is a mere 10 km. long ,4km. wide and is traversed by an 8 km. long road.
Some 300,000 olive trees grow here, making olive oil the main industry of the island. It is very verdant owing to the high winter rainfall, which is evident in the deep summer-dry river beds and lush wild flowers.
Gaios is the main port of entry and is where the ferries from Corfu and Igoumenitsa dock. Most of the island's population lives here. It is guarded by the islets of Ag. Nikolaos and Panagia where there is a Venetian Kastro built in 1423.
Lakka is the second port and village and is prettier than Gaios and Longos is the third little harbour village which is prettier still and has less tourists. A bus runs between these locations.
Boat trips circumnavigate the island where you experience the granduer of the sheer cliffs on the west coast of the island. You can also take a trip to the smaller neighbouring island of Anti-Paxos or hire a boat yourself.
Paxos has always remained popular with Italians as well as English packages now being available. Because of this and it being family holiday villa land, finding accommodation independently can be a nightmare, especially in peak season. Better to book beforehand somehow.
- Pros:Compact, relatively traffic free, magnificent cliffs
- Cons:Poor beaches, lack of independent accommodation
- In a nutshell:Definitely a "Find" in 1982
The capital of Paxos and where the ferries arrive and leave from. Arriving by ferry your first glimpse of Gaios is from... more travel advice
Paxos's second harbour, in the north west of the island. Pretty, a circular bay with two beaches. The one we went to was... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Paxoi Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paxos - The Jewel of the Ionians"
- "In Days Gone By........Paxos"
- "Postcard Perfect Paxos"
- "Paxos, the smallest of the 7 major Ionian Islands"
- "Paxos - me and the weather"
- "Paxos Island Perfection"
- "Flowers of Paxos island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paxoi Island
- Hotels in Paxoi Island
- Transportation in Paxoi Island
- Nightlife in Paxoi Island
- Restaurants in Paxoi Island
- Shopping in Paxoi Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Paxoi Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paxoi Island
- 9 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Paxoi Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paxoi Island
Photos in Paxoi IslandSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 70 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 70 reviews, 248 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 52 reviews, 258 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues