"An Eastern Peloponnese Gem" Plaka by nickandchris
Plaka Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 43 photos
This page is about a very small port in the Eastern Peloponnese in Arcadia. It has nothing to do with Athens or any other Plaka. VT. came up with lots of Plaka's in Greece so I'm presuming this Peloponnesian one is amongst them.
Two years ago the hydrofoil service ceased to run it's service down this isolated coast and Plaka, along with Geraki, Monemvasia and Kiparissi are now very quiet places.
The establishments in Plaka are crying out for business and only for the month of August is the place manic with holidaying Greeks.
This was our second visit to Plaka and I must admit, we liked it quiet but could fully understand the concern of the businesses there.
Plaka was the port which served the bustling inland market town of Leonidio, 4 km. away. Now, I suppose everything comes in and out on the improved but still very winding road.
It has two beautiful"Blue Flag" beaches ,a pretty harbour, a handful of tavernas, a swish beach bar or two (only one open in May) and a couple of small hotels. It's always been a popular port of call for the yotties and one or two motorhomes are always parked near the beach.
The whole place is wonderfully clean and even the resident ducks have their own accommodation on the stream!!!
It's an intensely farmed area, the alluvial plain between Lakkos and Plaka is a delight to drive through, full of vegetables, fruit and flowers growing in profusion. The mountains behind form a spectacular backdrop making Plaka SO picturesque.
We loved the place and wished we could have spent a few days here, but time was short and we had already "done" this area a few years ago.
If you are staying in the area and have transport, please call in and give the village some custom.
- Pros:Just perfect....
- Cons:Remote but not a con for us
- In a nutshell:Small, friendly and sooo pretty.....
Plaka is about 80 km. south of Argos on a winding road. At present the hydrofoil service has been suspended so you must... more travel advice
A great place for a meal. We were warmly welcomed by Margarite and mother? and shown into the kitchen to choose our... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Plaka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Roman Agora and Church in Plaka"
- "An Eastern Peloponnese Gem"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Plaka
- Hotels in Plaka
- Transportation in Plaka
- Nightlife in Plaka
- Restaurants in Plaka
- Shopping in Plaka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Plaka
- 5 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Plaka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Plaka
Photos in PlakaSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 70 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 70 reviews, 248 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 52 reviews, 258 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues