"VINTAGE THASSOS" Top 5 Page for this destination Thasos Island by nickandchris

Thasos Island Travel Guide: 176 reviews and 452 photos

Before Thassos Was Known

In 1981 Nick and I got married and booked a fortnight to Thassos for our honeymoon.It was somewhere we had never heard of. We went on an 18 - 30 holiday with a company called Small World. It wasn't like other 18 - 30 holidays, no rowdiness or silly games. We were just left to get on with things, or maybe we just chose to ignore any such behaviour. I don't remember the place being full of boozey youngsters, if anything, people were slightly older than us and one couple we met were well over thirty and had told tales about their age!!!

In the early 80's there weren't any holiday flights to Kavala, so we flew to Thessaloniki, coached to Keramoti and then had a short ferry crossing to Thassos. One thing I remember about that coach ride to the ferry port was that it was in the early hours of the morning and the coach drivers were racing each other, often driving side by side. Quite terrifying and our driver ended up getting lost in some back street!!!

Accommodation....

We stayed in Thassos Town, also known as Limenas, in the most basic of accommodation. The position was fine, looking out over the attractive harbour. The room was small, the only furniture a hanging wardrobe and we shared a bathroom and fridge. No kitchen facilities. Also a shared verandah. To us, it was fine and we really enjoyed our holiday here, watching the goings on in the harbour. I remember the fishing boats returned around 5 am. often waking me, but not Nick!!!
I expect this block has been converted and updated long ago.

The Island...

Thassos Town was a bustling little port town with the usual tavernas and cafeneons, some pretty up-market for the era. Different nationalities were in evidence and the restaurants always seemed to be busy, although I think we stuck to three or four. There was even a nightclub, named The Euro Club, where we had a few wild dances.
Boat building was still a big thing in Thassos when we were there.
The town beach wasn't up to much, being a bit dirty and small but it did us. Small World had a complex further along the shore with a better bit of beach but it was all expensive beach bars and "people wanting to be seen" so we gave it a miss.
We went on the" round the island" trip and the beach barbeque trip. This was to a beatiful, empty beach which you could almost hear groaning on our approach. These trips are all very well but you can't avoid the hoardes, unfortunately.
We ended up hiring a car for a day, (a V.W.Beetle) sharing the cost with another couple. In those days, it was pretty expensive. I seem to remember around £30 a day!!!!
Independently we discovered a beautiful island, densely wooded with pretty villages and some nice beaches. Tourism was limited to Thassos Town itself and the area around Limenaria.
We often look at Thassos in the holiday brochures these days and wonder what it would be like. I know there are more resorts now, especially around Golden beach and Skala Potamias. There must be a lot of new buidings but do they out number the original?? What is it like in May or early October?

• Pros:In 1981, beautifully scenic, undiscovered island
  • Cons:The Germans had got there before us........!!!!!!
  • In a nutshell:Green, mountainous, with pretty villages and nice beaches
  • Last visit to Thasos Island: Sep 1981
  • Intro Updated Sep 26, 2005

• Jannice48's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2009 at 10:41 AM

I have just been reading your Thasso page again Chris! We have booked to go next year so will be able to give you an update when we get back, I bet it has changed a lot since you were last there. Jan

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2009 at 4:58 AM

we all had these plastic bowls for bath in the 70s/80s at the village houses that didnt have a normal bathroom, now we just use them for clothes :) so, have u stop headbanging? we still do even though without gnomes around :)))

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2007 at 9:29 AM

A very interesting stroll down memory lane. Too bad places have to change.

• mazzap's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2007 at 3:17 PM

I really want to go to Thassos! Great tips, but I wonder how much it's changed. Don't you just love looking at your old pics? I'm always getting mine out to reminisce! The small square ones with all the corners rounded off are the best :-) lol! Marion x.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2007 at 2:26 PM

Hello fom Marrakech! Thanks for visiting my Sopron page. Thassos perhaps hasn't changed *too* much since 1981...I did the same boat trip to Golden Beach and walked up past the theatre each morning! It's still a lovely island..well worth a return visit!

• goga4444's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2006 at 9:57 AM

Fortunately, Thassos isnt much different than before. There are more tourists, but it keept the old fashion charm:)

• Oct 19, 2006 at 6:39 AM

Hi, looks like I plumbed for your honeymoon trip, it was really enjoyable to read, I guess the rest will have to be read between the lines!! Thanks for your comments on my Shiroka Luka page. Regards

• thecatsmeow's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2005 at 5:01 PM

This was a very refreshing page. I enjoyed "going back in time" . I have very fond memories of traveling in the late 70's and early 80's. Looks like a wonderful place to have a honeymoon. Joyce =^oo^=

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2005 at 4:39 AM

an interesting page & great pics, and it is funny to see the dresses and haircuts that were "modern" at that time ;-)

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2005 at 4:17 AM

i liked Thassos in your way. Beautiful place and great pages... Bora

nickandchris

“Take nothing but photographs. Leave nothing but footprints.”

Badges & Stats in Thasos Island

Have you been to Thasos Island?