"VINTAGE THASSOS" Top 5 Page for this destination Thasos Island by nickandchris
Thasos Island Travel Guide: 171 reviews and 434 photos
In 1981 Nick and I got married and booked a fortnight to Thassos for our honeymoon.It was somewhere we had never heard of. We went on an 18 - 30 holiday with a company called Small World. It wasn't like other 18 - 30 holidays, no rowdiness or silly games. We were just left to get on with things, or maybe we just chose to ignore any such behaviour. I don't remember the place being full of boozey youngsters, if anything, people were slightly older than us and one couple we met were well over thirty and had told tales about their age!!!
In the early 80's there weren't any holiday flights to Kavala, so we flew to Thessaloniki, coached to Keramoti and then had a short ferry crossing to Thassos. One thing I remember about that coach ride to the ferry port was that it was in the early hours of the morning and the coach drivers were racing each other, often driving side by side. Quite terrifying and our driver ended up getting lost in some back street!!!
We stayed in Thassos Town, also known as Limenas, in the most basic of accommodation. The position was fine, looking out over the attractive harbour. The room was small, the only furniture a hanging wardrobe and we shared a bathroom and fridge. No kitchen facilities. Also a shared verandah. To us, it was fine and we really enjoyed our holiday here, watching the goings on in the harbour. I remember the fishing boats returned around 5 am. often waking me, but not Nick!!!
I expect this block has been converted and updated long ago.
Thassos Town was a bustling little port town with the usual tavernas and cafeneons, some pretty up-market for the era. Different nationalities were in evidence and the restaurants always seemed to be busy, although I think we stuck to three or four. There was even a nightclub, named The Euro Club, where we had a few wild dances.
Boat building was still a big thing in Thassos when we were there.
The town beach wasn't up to much, being a bit dirty and small but it did us. Small World had a complex further along the shore with a better bit of beach but it was all expensive beach bars and "people wanting to be seen" so we gave it a miss.
We went on the" round the island" trip and the beach barbeque trip. This was to a beatiful, empty beach which you could almost hear groaning on our approach. These trips are all very well but you can't avoid the hoardes, unfortunately.
We ended up hiring a car for a day, (a V.W.Beetle) sharing the cost with another couple. In those days, it was pretty expensive. I seem to remember around £30 a day!!!!
Independently we discovered a beautiful island, densely wooded with pretty villages and some nice beaches. Tourism was limited to Thassos Town itself and the area around Limenaria.
We often look at Thassos in the holiday brochures these days and wonder what it would be like. I know there are more resorts now, especially around Golden beach and Skala Potamias. There must be a lot of new buidings but do they out number the original?? What is it like in May or early October?
- Pros:In 1981, beautifully scenic, undiscovered island
- Cons:The Germans had got there before us........!!!!!!
- In a nutshell:Green, mountainous, with pretty villages and nice beaches
Panagia and Potamias we really liked, with their old buildings and very Greek ambience. Not so much now, I fear as they... more travel advice
At Skala Rachoni we arrived at bath-time! The owner's son was being bathed in a large plastic bowl and certainly was not... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Thasos Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THASSOS ISLAND"
- "Honey Pine Olives Sea"
- "VINTAGE THASSOS"
- "Thasos Island"
- "T H A S O S"
- "THE BLUE AND GREEN GEM OF THASSOS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thasos Island
- Hotels in Thasos Island
- Transportation in Thasos Island
- Nightlife in Thasos Island
- Restaurants in Thasos Island
- Shopping in Thasos Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Thasos Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Thasos Island
- 12 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Thasos Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thasos Island
- Posted in Travel Greece Forum "Re: Desperately searching for an..."
- Commented on one of greekcypriot's Thasos Island travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Village, People And Sunsets"
- Wrote a Review Village, People And Sunsets in Thasos Island Favorites
- updated a Thasos Island Travel Page "VINTAGE THASSOS"
Photos in Thasos IslandSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 70 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 70 reviews, 248 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 52 reviews, 258 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues