"WELL AND TRULY ON THE BEATEN PATH..." Top 5 Page for this destination Ambleside by nickandchris
Ambleside Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 38 photos
Last week, after some torrential rain the week before, I thought "doing" a waterfall would be a rewarding experience; ie; the river would be in full spate. Stockghyll Force in Ambleside is one of the better and easily accessible ones so one bright morning, Michael and I headed off into the tourist traffic. Oh dear, not a good idea. We were soon stuck behind a coach and then caught up in roadworks just outside Ambleside. Now I remember why we so very, very rarely travel the A592, especially in the summer.
We paid an astounding £2.30 to park for two hours in Ambleside. Needless to say, we made sure we made full use of the toilet facilities here!!!
Ambleside is pretty enough, lots of attractive stone and slate buildings with colourful gardens, narrow alleyways, Lake Windermere and the River Brathay but oh dear, along with all the niceties are the usual tourist trappings of gift shops and eateries and of course, people. EVERYWHERE!! I don't like crowds and tend to go out of my way to avoid them so what were we doing here at such a busy time of the year?
Simply to walk the waterfall and get out, fast!!!
Suprisingly and disappointingly, Stockghyll Force was not in full spate and not as impressive as it could have been. Fortunately on the walk the tourists thinned out but there were still a fair few people out to enjoy this force of nature.
The walk only took us 30 mins or so and we were soon back at the carpark. Cars were circling, looking for spaces but we still had plenty of time on our ticket so we enjoyed a cup of coffee before setting off to take a look at Skelwith Force, just down the road. Kill two birds with one stone, sort of thing but it was not to be. We couldn't get parked anywhere for this short walk so gave it up as a bad job and headed for less populated areas to have our picnic lunch, the east side of Coniston Water.
OK, maybe I've been a little harsh on Ambleside!! It's a nice place, especially in winter!! but I just wish people would realise that the Lake District does not just consist of Bowness and Ambleside!!!
- Pros:Pretty, typical Lake District scene.
- Cons:Congested withboth traffic and people, terrible A592 route.
- In a nutshell:If you love to be with the crowds, go for it......
I shouldn't really feature Ambleside's famous smallest house, it being so much ON the tourist track and not the sort of... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Ambleside Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A key spot in the Lake District National Park"
- "Ambleside in the Lake District"
- "WELL AND TRULY ON THE BEATEN PATH..."
- "A walker's paradise"
- "Lake District"
- "Spring in the English lakes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ambleside
- Hotels in Ambleside
- Transportation in Ambleside
- Restaurants in Ambleside
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ambleside
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Ambleside?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ambleside
- Posted in Travel Lake District National Park Forum "Re: Holiday away for me and my..."
- updated a Ambleside Travel Page "WELL AND TRULY ON THE BEATEN PATH..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Smallest House"
- Wrote a Review Smallest House in Ambleside Things to Do
- Commented on one of iandsmith's Ambleside travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 70 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 70 reviews, 248 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 52 reviews, 258 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues