"Applecross and Torridon - Scenery To Die For....." Applecross by nickandchris

Applecross Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 112 photos

North To Loch Torridon

As there is no facility on Vt for Torridon I shall include it in my Applecross page.

Our 2007 Scottish holiday in the motorhome was to the north western Highland region of Wester Ross and the Glenelg peninsula, a little further south.

We had decided to head as far north as we were going to go on our first day and then work our way back, southwards. Loch Torridon was our destination, somewhere Nick had stayed many years ago and longed to return to. Torridon village is tiny and remote but does have a village shop as well as a Youth Hostel and a small museum. It also is the home to the rather splendid Loch Torridon Hotel set on the south shore of the loch. The village is dwarfed by the Torridon mountains rising steeply behind and they form a most spectacular backdrop. A popular area with walkers. Our first night was spent in the carpark for the start of the walk up Beinn Alligin. The next day we managed to find the one and only spot to camp right on the loch side and as the sun came out we enjoyed spectacular views up the loch. We even managed to get the boat out and catch a few mackerel. A most stunning location.

From here we took a trip on the motorbike to the end of the road, to Diabaig, a most beatiful location and a truly "interesting road!"We also called in at Alligin and Inveralligin, a couple of tiny lochside hamlets.

Time To Move On...

Time to move on, destination Shieldaig, just to the west of Loch Torridon and on Loch Shieldaig. Funnily enough, I had high expectations for this place but in the end, we didn't stay. We looked at the free camping spot, above the village but to be honest, this and the lochside were totally useless for us getting the boat out. There was just nowhere we could park and camp by the water so we moved on after looking round the village. We found ourselves heading for the next place on our "hit" list, Applecross.

Applecross is situated in the far west of Wester Ross and has only two routes in by road .The oldest road, built in 1822, is the famous Bealach na Ba Pass (Pass of the Cattle) which twists and turns on a single track road, reaching heights of 2053 feet in just over five miles. Strangely enough, there is a camping and caravan site at the bottom of the pass on the Applecross side. Be warned, DO NOT take a caravan over here.

The alternative route is around the coast, a spectacular single track road only completed in the 1970's, running above the coast and also with stunning views (on a clear day!!) We opted for this route, being in a 24 foot motorhome and really enjoyed the wonderful vistas we were fortunate to have on one of our few sunny days.

A Little About Applecross......

Although Applecross is a small, isolated village, you'll find accommodation, a camp site, a pub serving an excellent menu, restaurant, post office and shop, a heritage centre and plenty of walking!!!

The name Applecross is a corruption of Aber Crossan (mouth of River Crossan) and today the river is known as the River Applecross.On many parts of this river you'll find infromation boards about the re-introduction of salmon to it's waters and lots more interesting information about the surrounding area. In various parts of Applecross, you'll come across information boards and you come away from the area actually feeling you have learnt a little bit about this remote place.

The main development of Applecross arose from the Applecross House and Estate, which was built in 1740 and created employment for huge numbers of people, hence the village of Applecross arose around the estate to supply it's needs. Today, the estate is open for walks and to visit the walled garden and restaurant .

An excellent source of info on Applecross is

We free camped on the beach, to the north of the village, close to the Heritage centre and Clachan Church. A great place to stay with lovely views of wild mountains behind and seawards to the islands of Raasay and Skye. During our stay, we saw almost everything in the area. We visited the church and graveyard at Clachan, the Heritage Centre, the Applecross Estate walks and walled garden and even the pub. We also had trips out on the motorbike to the south of the peninsula, to Toscaig and all the small creeks in-between. A fascinating area.

Time to leave and Nick decided to tacke the Pass of the Cattle. Oh dear. Well, that's another story, to be found in transport tip here!!!!

• Pros:Remote, wild and beautiful.
  • Cons:Roads in and out not for the faint hearted.....
  • In a nutshell:An end of the world feel for a beautiful location.
  • Last visit to Applecross: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 30, 2007

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Gosh-this looks to be one of the more lovely places in your area and all of Europe. The estate is fabulous. Nice job of picture taking and comments.

• Oct 1, 2009 at 1:35 PM

We would love you to update your description of the Walled Garden. It is now two years since you visited us and we have been accepted for Scotlands Gardens for next year.

• Jun 22, 2008 at 6:28 PM

There are very large, official warning signs at both ends about taking unsuitable vehicles over, hairpin bends, etc. I think you were both very irresponsible and selfish given how treacherous this road is. I like your writing though. ;)

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2008 at 9:10 PM

I can't believe you took a motorhome over the Bealach na Ba. I'm impressed. We were proud of doing it in a car! My camera broke that day and I didn't get any pictures . . . and wouldn't return. It is gorgeous; isn't it!

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2008 at 1:39 PM

The scenery is absolutely stunning!! I enjoyed reading about your adventures and was really amazed by the beauty of this wild and little known place!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2008 at 11:52 AM

Gorgeous lavenders and blues.... I love that little stone chapel with the old grave yard. Very special.

• davesut's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Ahhh, those midges. Just one question, where on earth is everyone???!!

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2007 at 7:54 AM

excellent stuff!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2007 at 2:53 AM

I really feel as though I was perched on the roof of your camper as you took me along with you on this journey - wonderful views, midges and all. Great stuff. Now I knmow where our A'cross (W. Aust) gets its name from. Cheers - leyle

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2007 at 8:41 AM

Ah yes wild - remote and truely stunning = your pictures are food for the soul = Lovely little hidden gems!!

nickandchris

“Take nothing but photographs. Leave nothing but footprints.”

Badges & Stats in Applecross

Have you been to Applecross?

Latest Activity in Applecross