"Ardtoe In Argyll" Ardtoe by nickandchris
Ardtoe Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 79 photos
Before this holiday, I had never heard of Ardtoe. Now, I will never forget it!
It all happened because we couldn't get booked into any of the campsites around Arisaig. After days of perusing the internet, I finally found a small, basic site at this place called Ardtoe, just east of Ardnamurchan. It looked perfect, right by a string of glorious sandy beaches and it's only facility apart from a chem. disposal and tap was electric which is what we required for our 14 year old son. Afterphoning the owner, we were miraculously booked for five days in July. Brilliant!!!
Ardtoe is a tiny community strung out at the end of a minor road running north west from Acharacle in Argyll. I am not actually sure whether it is actually part of the Ardnamurchan peninsula but it is in the Highlands. Parts of the road are long straights with passing places, others are steep gradients with no passing places. Do not be put off, you will have found Paradise when you get there!
There are three or four beautiful beaches, a few static caravans dotted about, the small campsite and a marine conservation station which is a bit of a blot on the landscape but we can't have everything perfect, can we? oh, and there's no mobile signal either.
Our time here consisted of boating, fishing, seal watching, motorcycling and just watching the ever changing sea and sky, day in, day out.The views from the beaches are amazing, looking out to Rum, Eigg and Skye and on our last evening, we were rewarded with a glorious sunset. No pressures, no hassle, just nature at it's very best.
Despite not having the best of weather, we fell in love with this place and it would seem most people do and return year after year. Certainly, it's a children's paradise, most of them were kitted out with wet suits and were in the sea every day. Now, I must invest in a wetsuit, me thinks, that sea was far too inviting to not get immersed. Maybe next time.......
- Pros:Not too many people find this place!
- In a nutshell:The most amazing sandy beaches.....
This was our second visit to Loch Sunart. Unfortunately this visit was on the motorbike on a murky, wet day so the loch... more travel advice
The first photo shows someone's sense of humour,a painted rock ,supposedly a monster midge. We actually experienced very... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Ardtoe Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Ardtoe
- Hotels in Ardtoe
- Transportation in Ardtoe
- Nightlife in Ardtoe
- Shopping in Ardtoe
- Warnings and Dangers in Ardtoe
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ardtoe
- 17 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Ardtoe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ardtoe
Photos in ArdtoeSee All Photos (79)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 70 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 70 reviews, 248 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 52 reviews, 258 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues