Barnard Castle Off The Beaten Path Tips by nickandchris Top 5 Page for this destination
Barnard Castle Off The Beaten Path: 1 reviews and 5 photos
Angel of the north?
This is known as the secret garden of the north and as we were in the area, thought we'd take a look.It is mainly a nursery, selling a large selection of plants and garden sculptures and seemed a popular place for a browse.
The hall is privately owned but you do get some lovely views of the magnificent building from the grounds.
You are given a guide with your admission price, (£1.00 I think) and this takes you through the garden in a numbered trail.
Although not overly large, the place is interesting, having it's own ruined church that is now been incorporated into the garden with shrubs growing out of it and a couple of huge trees poking through empty windows and the roof.
As our visit was in early April, we were too early for it to be very colourful, nor were the vegs. very advanced but we still enjoyed our gentle wander round. I particularly like the ancient contorted hazel tree, twisted and gnarled like an old hag.
At the top of the garden, a surprise is in store - a replica of the Angel of the North!! Not sure when this was added.
The garden and nursery are home to an unusual plant, the spikey, silver leaved plant Celmisia spectabilis, Eggleston Silver, very sought after.Eggleston is famous for it's quality and quantity of these, originally and carefully nurtured from just three plants.
There is ample parking, a gift shop and a cafe.
The gardens are 5 miles northwest of Barnard Castle, off the B6278 and are well signposted.
Phone: 01833 650115
More Reviews (13)
nickandchris' Related Pages
Barnard Castle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Town With A Castle"
- "There Really is a Castle"
- "The town and the castle"
- "Off the beaten path castle town"
- "Barnard Castle"
- "Barnard Castle"
- "The Castle."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barnard Castle
- Hotels in Barnard Castle
- Restaurants in Barnard Castle
- Shopping in Barnard Castle
- See All...
Explore the World
- Chaguaramas Hotels
- Scottsdale Hotels
- Bogotá Hotels
- Salton Sea Beach Hotels
- Saint-Gilles-les Bains
- Jamaica Off The Beaten Path
- Atlanta Off The Beaten Path
- Nashville Off The Beaten Path
- Alabama Off The Beaten Path
- Crete Island Off The Beaten Path
- San Francisco Off The Beaten Path
- New York City Off The Beaten Path
- Quebec Off The Beaten Path
- Vermont Off The Beaten Path
- Salt Lake City Off The Beaten Path
- Lexington Off The Beaten Path
- Ottawa Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Barnard Castle
- 14 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Barnard Castle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barnard Castle
Photos in Barnard CastleSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 70 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 70 reviews, 248 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 52 reviews, 258 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (50)
Latest Barnard Castle hotel reviews
- The Morritt Arms Hotel
- 136 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013