"Town With A Castle" Top 5 Page for this destination Barnard Castle by nickandchris
Barnard Castle Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 135 photos
Nick's parents and sister live in the north east of England and often, when we travelled to see them, we would drive through Barnard Castle and say, "We must have a look at the castle one day." Eventually, in 2001, we decided to spend a weekend staying in the van around Barnard Castle. From here we visited Raby Castle and Middleton-in-Teesdale, both short hops away.
We stayed on a CL. near Cleatlam, a few miles north east of Barnard Castle, arriving on the Friday evening and calling in at an Indian takeaway for our evening meal.
On Saturday we had a look round the town and explored the castle, a fine drizzle falling persistently.
On Sunday we toured in the van and went to Raby Castle which was an amazing place.
On Sunday, on our way home, we called in at Middleton and enjoyed a pleasant walk along the river to the waterfalls.
Barnard Castle is an attractive, historical market town situated on the Durham side of the Tees, in County Durham, and is the capital of Teesdale. It's crowning glory is the 12th c. castle, built by Bernard Balliol, on banking overlooking the river Tees.The castle now belongs to English Heritage and is open to the public.
The town's other tourist attraction is the Bowes Museum, on the outskirts of B.C. This is home to a most amazing collection of collectables, clocks, costumes, pictures and textiles, to name but a few.
The town itself straggles uphill, in two distinct parts, with plenty of shops and eating places. It's a pretty easy place to drive through and there are carparks signposted. You have to visit the castle on foot.
We enjoyed our stay in this area but now Nick's parents have both died, we don't travel to the north east so much and we feel we have "done" Barnard Castle and surrounds.
STAYED IN THIS AREA FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS AND ENJOYED A LOOK ROUND EGGLESTON HALL GARDENS AND THE BOWES MUSEUM GARDEN.
- Pros:Old-fashioned, intersting town
- Cons:Expensive petrol...!!!!
- In a nutshell:Just a nice part of the world....
It was nearly two o' clock (the time when most pubs stop serving lunch) and we were hungry! After a couple of failed... more travel advice
This is great river walking country, with the Tees and the Greta joining forces just south of Barnard castle. Whilst... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Barnard Castle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Town With A Castle"
- "There Really is a Castle"
- "The town and the castle"
- "Off the beaten path castle town"
- "Barnard Castle"
- "Barnard Castle"
- "The Castle."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barnard Castle
- Hotels in Barnard Castle
- Restaurants in Barnard Castle
- Shopping in Barnard Castle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barnard Castle
- 14 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Barnard Castle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barnard Castle
- Posted in Travel Lake District National Park Forum "Re: Holiday away for me and my..."
- Wrote a Review Central Town. in Barnard Castle Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Over The Moors Route..."
- updated a Barnard Castle Travel Page "Town With A Castle"
- Commented on one of stevezero's Barnard Castle travel pages
Photos in Barnard CastleSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 70 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 70 reviews, 248 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 52 reviews, 258 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues