"At The End Of The Longest Cul-de-Sac in England..." Barrow in Furness by nickandchris
Barrow in Furness Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 154 photos
As Barrow , (west Cumbria) is just down the road from us, I thought I'd better make the effort to write a little about the place(known locally as the town at the end of the longest cul-de-sac, the A590)
A one time, massively huge, ship and submarine-building town, and an important port, everything depended on this industry. If you didn't work for Vickers Armstrong (as it was back in it's heyday) now B.A.E. Systems, then you were the odd one, the out-comer. Now with the shipbuilding industry going abroad, the workforce has declined until only a mere few thousand remain employed here. Barrow has had to adapt and attempt to change. Not an easy task for a traditional working class town who had always relied upon local resources and industries such as the steelworks and iron ore mining.
The port is still used today by cargo ships and for the launching of any submarine or boat built at B.A.E. and even the odd cruise ship calls. There are still a few fishing boats remaining. I suspect they have to travel a long way for their catch these days.
People have had to adapt, re-train, change their vocations, move away or face the consequences of the dole queue.
Gradually old buildings are coming down,(not necessarily the ones that should) and new replace them. People are being re-housed as poor areas facing re-development fall to the demolition men.
Redundant docks are being re-vamped in a massive re-development scheme, still to happen.Barrow is Britain's newest cruise liner port and Gateway to the English lakes by sea. Each year, more ships are calling here, an excellent port of call for visitng the Lake district and all other nearby local attractions. It's ideally located for exploring this western corner of England and this is what Barrow are desperate to promote.
Could Barrow really have a marina, would people use it, pay for it etc.\? Will speed boat users turn to Barrow for their pleasure now the speed limit is in force on Windermere?It needs a lot of major works before Barrow can expect people to visit this area for pleasure and leisure. They do already have a floating restaurant in the dock, an enterprising local 's idea, but there is a long way to go.
I have always been fond of Barrow, it's old-fashioned appearance appeals to me. First impressions are of the long tree-lined Abbey Road as you enter Barrow. Not too bad.
Admittedly there are some dreadful buildings in the town, the terrible concrete 60's precinct by the market, most of it lying abandoned and graffiti covered. Desperate for a major face-lift.
On the other hand, the Town Hall and other facelifted red sandstone buildings are at the opposite end of the scale, proudly dominating Barrow.
The best thing about Barrow is Walney Island, crossed by a single bridge which still occasionally has to be raised to let large boats under. The fact the island only has one access is of major concern to the islanders if there was a major incident. The island is really an extension of Barrow and consists of rows and rows of terraced and semi-detatched houses that at one time would have been home to the shipyard workers, the larger the house, the higher up the salary scale you were.
Walney Channel is popular with the boating fraternity and the island's beaches are a magnet to old and young alike in the summer. We often walk the beaches in Winter, collecting firewood. Now we take Philip with his new petrol powered radio-controlled car. An ideal place for this sort of thing.
- Pros:Fresh air, beaches, old-fashioned
- Cons:At the end of the A590
- In a nutshell:Good location for western Lakes and the Furness Peninsula
We have eaten at the Strawberry Hotel in Barrow twice recently, both times with our sons who have healthy... more travel advice
This one time farmhouse has been a pub for a good many years and seems to have a good following. Being situated in a... more travel advice
- See All Submarine Launches
- All Weather Football Pitch
- Barrow to Kendal Express
- Roa Island and Foulney island
Written Feb 14, 2006
Reflections of Barrow
Written Jul 18, 2006
Summer's Arrived On Walney.....
nickandchris' Related Pages
Barrow in Furness Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "At The End Of The Longest Cul-de-Sac in England..."
- "My Town"
- "Some call it a cul de sac........"
- "home is where the heart is"
- "Barrow in Furness"
- "A lake paradise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barrow in Furness
- Hotels in Barrow in Furness
- Transportation in Barrow in Furness
- Nightlife in Barrow in Furness
- Restaurants in Barrow in Furness
- Shopping in Barrow in Furness
- Warnings and Dangers in Barrow in Furness
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Barrow in Furness
- 21 Reviews
- 88 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Barrow in Furness?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barrow in Furness
- Posted in Travel Lake District National Park Forum "Re: driving in the lake district"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Typical Pub Menu"
- Wrote a Review Typical Pub Menu in Barrow in Furness Restaurants
- Commented on one of Maxus's Barrow in Furness travel pages
- created a Barrow in Furness Travelogue "Summer's Arrived On Walney....."
Photos in Barrow in FurnessSee All Photos (88)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 69 reviews, 243 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 68 reviews, 244 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 51 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (49)
Latest Barrow in Furness hotel reviews
- The Hotel Majestic
- 89 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- Abbey House Hotel
- 226 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Fairway Hotel
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 14, 2013
- Ambrose Hotel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Travelodge Barrow In Furness
- 83 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
- 141 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013