"Exploring Lesser Known Cumbria" Bewcastle by nickandchris
Bewcastle Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 15 photos
We spent a pleasant few days staying around the Bewcastle area at the end of October.
Bewcastle is a tiny hamlet northeast of Carlisle, in Cumbria, close to the Scottish border. It is comprised of a few farms, a church, a castle and the site of a roman fort.
Todays farms were once pele towers built to protect the English owners from the Scottish reivers. The reivers consistently raided the north of Cumbria for 3000 years, stealing cattle, looting and pillaging along their way.
Bewcastle's ties with nearby Roman Hadrian's Wall were in the hexagonal fort built as an outpost for scouts. It was partly destroyed in AD 343 and abandoned by AD 367.A castle was built in the place of the fort in 1092, amongst the fort's ditch system. Today's remains are grassed humps and bumps, barely distinguishable amongst the castle ruins.
Nearby Bewcastle church is worth a visit, being home to the 7th century Bewcastle Cross, some interesting grave stones and a small musuem portraying the history of Bewcastle.
Bewcastle is in a beautiful location, the surrounding countryside consisting of moorland, woodland and farmland and has a good network of footpaths in the area.It is quite off the beaten track although in reality is not far from Cumbria's capital, Carlisle.
- Pros:Lesser known Cumbria
- In a nutshell:Lovely scenery without the crowds.
We booked this site as it was about equal distance for us and Nick's sister and husband to travel. We had arranged a few... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Bewcastle Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Bewcastle
- 3 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (105)
Have you been to Bewcastle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bewcastle
Photos in BewcastleSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 75 reviews, 295 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 61 reviews, 299 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 56 reviews, 279 photos, 1 travelogue
- Scotland Intro, 71 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 53 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 199 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues