"Forest Of Bowland" Caton by nickandchris
Caton Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 11 photos
The first weekend in October 2011 (Friday and Saturday) we actually had a mini heatwave, with temoeratures reaching 25c. We took adavantage of this unseasonal weather and had a run out in the motorhome, deciding on the northern parts of the Forest of Bowland, in Lancashire.
This page is under Caton, as it is the nearest town to where we visited that Virtual Tourist recognises. We were based a few miles south of Caton.
The Forest of Bowland is a large area of moorland,and gritstone fells in north Lancashire, stretching in the west from Lancaster and as far south as Preston and in the east, into north Yorkshire. It also includes the geographic centre of Great Britain, just north of Dunsop Bridge.
The narrow roads attract cyclists and motorcyclists and the fells are popular with hikers.Having said this, the countryside around here is relatively little visited and remains a quieter option than the Lake District. Certainly during our visit we did not come across many folks and we were able to enjoy the beautiful scenery, appreciating that we had it all to ourselves, almost.
The Forest of Bowland was designated an Area of Outstanding Natural beauty in 1964 and 13% of the countryside is a Site of Special Scientific Interest. with it's heather moorland and blanket bog creating a great habitat for many different birds.
We enjoyed riding the quiet country roads on our motorbike, drinking in the lovely scenery and appreciating the wide open spaces.
It was only when we got home that we heard a body had been discovered close to where we had been. It had lain undiscoverd for over a week!
nickandchris' Related Pages
Caton Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Caton
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Caton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caton
Photos in CatonSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 75 reviews, 295 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 61 reviews, 299 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 56 reviews, 279 photos, 1 travelogue
- Scotland Intro, 71 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 53 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 199 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues