Cockerham Sports & Outdoors Tips by nickandchris
Cockerham Sports & Outdoors: 2 reviews and 0 photos
Model aeroplane flying.
I guess this area is so popular with the model aeroplane enthusiasts because of it's flatness and large, open fields. certainly the club based near Glasson had a strong following. There were quite a number of 'planes taking off and landing on the specially prepared runway here. We spent a few minutes watching, but both Nick and I agreed that we wouldn't want to spend more than half an hour flying one of these, we would soon become bored. Then again, we are not fanatics and don't know what these flying machines are capable of!
Interestingly the majority of members appeared to be middle aged men.
Address: Thurnham, Nr. Lancaster.
Directions: From the B 5290 Glasson Dock road, turn left and climb over the canal. Bear left and the flying site is on your left on this road.
From our caravan site we enjoyed watching the nearby parachutists. The first time we noticed them the weather was dull with low lying cloud. It was quite spooky hearing the 'plane but not being able to see it and then a few minutes later, the parachutists would appear and disappear in the cloud.
The next morning was a brilliantly clear day and we could actually watch these brave folk jump out of the aeroplane. Some were in the air longer than others, obviously were no novices and knew how to catch the thermals, others seemed to come straight down.
Six in number appeared to be the maximum on one trip, with the plane climbing after the first jump and some mintes later the next would jump and so on.
Freefall, Tandem and static line jumps available. Spectators are allowed but no dogs or alcohol! The centre is open all year round, April to October daily 8am - 8pm and the rest of the year at weekends only.
Equipment: The website below gives full details of courses, requirements and costs.
Address: Hillam Lane, Cockerham, Lancashire, LA2 0DY
Directions: This is right down on the coast on Cockerham Sands.South of Thurnham, turn right to parachute centre. Keep left when you hit the estuary.
Phone: 01524 791820
Theme: Extreme Sports
More Reviews (5)
nickandchris' Related Pages
Cockerham Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Formby Hotels
- Tapos Hotels
- Urchfont Hotels
- Mintaqat Masqat
- Tonto National Monument Hotels
- Santorini Island Sports & Outdoors
- Mahé Sports & Outdoors
- Kandersteg Sports & Outdoors
- Cody Sports & Outdoors
- Johor Bahru Sports & Outdoors
- Pagudpud Sports & Outdoors
- Isla de Tenerife Sports & Outdoors
- Berlin Sports & Outdoors
- Kuala Terengganu Sports & Outdoors
- Bohol Sports & Outdoors
- Hammamet Sports & Outdoors
- Gold Coast Sports & Outdoors
Badges & Stats in Cockerham
- 7 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Cockerham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cockerham
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 70 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 70 reviews, 248 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 52 reviews, 258 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues