"Around The Lune Estuary" Cockerham by nickandchris
Cockerham Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 0 photos
This is a little page on an area on the Lancashire coast, south of Morecambe and Lancaster but north of Preesall.
We decided on the spur of the moment to have a night away in the motorhome and chose a small Caravan Club site that had hard standing, in case the ground was wet, in this area. Many years ago we had briefly touched on some of this coast and decided now was the time for a re-visit.
Our trip included a pub lunch at the local and riding the narrow lanes to the coast by motorbike.Despite the rain setting in for a couple of hours in the evening, it cleared up to reward us with a spectacular red sky at night and views of Blackpool Tower illuminated.
The following morning, a brilliant blue sky day, we drove to the end of the road at knott End and watched the Isle of Man ferry unloading at Fleetwood dock.
To be honest, we found the scenery boringly dull, all reclaimed land too flat for our liking and with not a hill in sight.There was a definite lack of trees as well and it's an area we probably won't bother returning to.Despite this, we enjoyed our little trip away, a bonus being able to watch the nearby parachutists from the site, actually seeing them jump from the aeroplane and hear their chutes open.
STUPIDLY, I FORGOT TO PACK THE CAMERA SO UNFORTUNATELY THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THIS TRIP. MAYBE IT WAS A GOOD JOB THE SCENERY WASN'T TOO STUNNING!!
- Pros:Flat walking country along little lanes.Good local pub.
- Cons:Extremely flat, rather featureless low lying land.
- In a nutshell:Muddy estuaries dominated by Heysham Power station.
Sunday morning dawned beautifully sunny with brilliant blue skies. We decided to travel to the end of the road to Knott... more travel advice
Model aeroplane flying. I guess this area is so popular with the model aeroplane enthusiasts because of it's flatness... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Cockerham Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Cockerham
- 7 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Cockerham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cockerham
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 69 reviews, 243 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 68 reviews, 244 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 51 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues