"Coniston and Coniston Water" Coniston by nickandchris
Coniston Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 70 photos
Coniston is a small, rural farming village situated at the northern end of Coniston Water in the Lake District, in south Cumbria. Copper mining in the 18th and 19th centuries and later, slate mining, were it's chief forms of employment. Nowadays, tourism plays a major role, with walking and lake activities it's main attractions. A small amount of slate quarrying still goes on today.
Coniston Old Man towers over the village, rising to 2635 feet, and is a popular hiking route, taking in redundant copper mines and following gushing mountain streams.
Coniston Water stretches from Coniston village in the north, to Water Yeat in the south and flows into the sea of Morecambe Bay at Greenodd. It was originally used to transport the slate and ore mined locally above Coniston but today it is purely a pleasureground.
Coniston's claims to fame include the artist and poet John Ruskin, who bought the beautiful mansion, Brantwood, on Coniston's eastern shore and lived in for his last 30 years. Today, the house belongs to the national Trust and is open to the public.
Donald Campbell broke the world water speed record on Coniston Water, travelling at over 300 mph in 1955. In 1969 he attempted to better this, only to lose control, flip over and sink. Campbell died instantly and his boat and body have only recently been found and recovered from the lake, in 2001.
The Lady in the Lake is a local news story about a lady from Barrow-in-Furness who disappeared in 1976 and whose body was only discovered on the lake bed in 1997. Her husband was convicted of her murder in 2004 but his family believe in his innocence and are fighting for justice.
Coniston has four pubs, some trditional shops, (as well as ye old gifte type) plenty of B&B's, campsites close by and a YHA.
It even has it's own brewery, Coniston brewery Company and the local brew is Bluebird Bitter.
It's popular all year round with walkers and sight-seeers but extremely busy in summer and accommodation must be pre-booked to guarantee you a bed.
We only live about 15 miles from Coniston but only tend to visit the quieter, eastern side of the lake in summer and wouldn't bother trying to park anywhere near the village in high season.
- Pros:Picturesque setting with lots of outdoor activities
- Cons:Too popular in summer
- In a nutshell:Great out of season - try visiting off season
Coniston Launch is a boat service running up and down Coniston Water, using traditional timber built boats with electric... more travel advice
Coniston Water is 5 miles long and up to half a mile wide. It is the 3rd largest lake in the Lake District and is... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Coniston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Captain Conniston"
- "Coniston and Coniston Water"
- "Lakeland Leisure"
- "Coniston Water"
- "Another up and coming page - Coniston"
- "Coniston Water - Lake District"
- "Coniston Water"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Coniston
- Hotels in Coniston
- Transportation in Coniston
- Nightlife in Coniston
- Restaurants in Coniston
- Warnings and Dangers in Coniston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coniston
- 6 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Coniston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coniston
- Posted in Travel Lake District National Park Forum "Re: Holiday away for me and my..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Coniston Launch and Boat Hire"
- updated a Coniston Travel Page "Coniston and Coniston Water"
- Commented on one of Arm-Chair-Hero's Coniston travel pages
- Wrote a Review Public Transport in Coniston Transportation
Photos in ConistonSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 70 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 70 reviews, 248 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 52 reviews, 258 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues