"A Brief Encounter In These Parts....." Creetown by nickandchris
Creetown Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 26 photos
After exploring to the west of Kirkcudbright, we pressed on, with the intention of a spot of free overnight camping somewhere enroute to Garlieston.
Once passed Fleet Bay, the A75 follows the coast all the way to Creetown, before detouring inland a little to circumnavigate the mouth of the River Cree. I had ear-marked Carsluith Castle as a place to see and as it was on our route, we had no problem finding it. An immaculate ruin, beautifully maintained by Historic Scotland and free admission.
By now, the sun had come out and it was really rather hot so after exporing the castle, we started to look for somewhere to pull up for the rest of the afternoon and night. Just a little further on was a large layby shielded from the roads by bushes,a mere mile outside Creetown. It looked out over Wigtown Sands and was really rather picutesque, with the tide in.
We spent a very hot afternoon watching as the tide dropped, the long fishing net hung across the river gradually becoming more and more visible.This was really a rather idyllic spot BUT the traffic noise was relentless during the afternoon and evening, being the trunk road to Stranraer. It did drop off during the night but then we had to contend with the lorries parking up!
The following morning, we decided to travel by motorbike to visit Cairnholy, about five miles back down the road. This is an amazing place and in the morning sunshine, we were deeply impressed, especially when we had an enthusiastic local from New York explain it all to us.
From Cairnholy, we drove back to the van, loaded up the motorbike and headed off for Garlieston.
- Pros:Spectacular sunsets.
- Cons:All main road with little chance to get into the hinterland.
- In a nutshell:Plenty of ancient stones, cairns, etc.
We nearly gave this site a miss, being up a very narrow and steep road but in the end, we decided to take the motorbike... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Creetown Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Creetown
- 3 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Creetown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Creetown
Photos in CreetownSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 70 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 70 reviews, 248 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 52 reviews, 258 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues