"Heading West To Durness" Top 5 Page for this destination Durness by nickandchris
Durness Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 115 photos
Previous page: Tongue
After our stay on Loch Eriboll, which I have placed on this page, it was time to move on and head towards Durness.We needed petrol and some basic supplies so a stop in Durness was called for.There are a couple of food stores, a petrol station and a post office which all seem to belong to one family.You pay for you petrol in the mini market. (The dearest petrol we have ever bought at £1.38 a litre!!) Durness also boasts a fantastically located campsite above Sango beach, a YHA, a hotel and some B&B establishmnts.
Durness sits just to the east of the Kyle of Durness and northwest of Loch Eriboll, on the single-tack A838, just before the road turns southwards and leaves the coast. It is slighly lower lying and more fertile than some areas of the northwest Highlands,owing to the lime rich soil, giving it a more gentle feel. Coastal scenery is splendid, with glorious sandy beaches backed by impressive cliffs.
From the Kyle of Durness you can catch the passenger ferry to take you across the water and then a minibus which takes you the 14 miles to Cape Wrath Lighthouse, a really wild and rugged part of the world. You cannot get here under your own steam.
Smoo Cave is the biggest attraction close to Durness but I have to admit, we didn't bother as the weather was very poor and the car park was full. Too many people in a small area, no thanks!! If you want to read up on it, have a look at the website on the tips.
There is also a craft village close by, based in some old nissen huts. Again, we didn't stop here but pressed on to the beach.
NEXT PAGE: Kinlochbervie
- Pros:The most beautiful beaches
- Cons:Expensive fuel!!!!!
- In a nutshell:An oasis in a wilderness...
There is a small passenger ferry that leaves Keoldale on the Kyle of Durness and transports you across the water. You... more travel advice
We had seen the sign for seafood snacks, just outside Durness. OK, even though we had plenty of supplies in the... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Durness Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Heading West To Durness"
- "Durness - Cape Wrath"
- "A Fantastic Disaster!!"
- "Out on the edge"
- "The Cape Wrath and the Smoo Cave"
- "sleepy village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Durness
- Hotels in Durness
- Transportation in Durness
- Nightlife in Durness
- Restaurants in Durness
- Warnings and Dangers in Durness
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Durness
- 10 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Durness?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Durness
Photos in DurnessSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 72 reviews, 280 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 59 reviews, 289 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 56 reviews, 279 photos, 1 travelogue
- Scotland Intro, 71 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 53 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 199 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues