"Sit Back, Relax and Enjoy......" Loch Etive by nickandchris
Loch Etive Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 34 photos
Loch Etive is one of our favourite haunts, we find ourselves returning again and again.
It is just north of Oban and meets the Firth of Lorn and the open sea at Connel where the road bridge crosses to North Connel. Here you will see the amazing sight of The Falls of Lora, under the bridge, where a rocky shelf causes spectacular rapids and whirl pools as the tide races to meet the loch waters. You have to catch the tide at the right state to view this incredible sight.
The loch extends 8 miles from Connel to Bonawe (accessed by road) and another10 miles north east to nothing but a ruined pier. This eastern end is only accessed via a 14 mile beautiful single-track road from the Glen Coe Valley. There was a steamer service in the mid 1800's from Oban to the now derelict pier.
Bonawe can be reached either by the narrow road on the north side of the loch or from Barcaldine on the A828 via the B845.
Cruises leave from near the Bonawe Iron Furnace, Taynault, on the south side of the loch, Easter to October. It's a pleasant place to stop to view the wonderful scenery and watch the comings and goings of the boat.
Taynault was a ferry crossing to Bonawe from 1690 to 1966 when the Connel Rail Bridge was transformed into a road bridge, doing away with the need for a ferry.
The quarry at Bonawe is still operating and there is a large ruined house here, presumably the quarry masters. There is a small community here (what a location) with property most definitely in the exclusive bracket. The jetty still remains.
Fish farming, as on a lot of lochs, is very much in evidence with mussels and Rainbow trout being two of the crop.
We discovered Loch Etive by chance, simply following our OS map, looking for somewhere to free camp. We tend to look for unfenced roads on loch sides and this was a winner with there being one or two tracks off the narrow road to the loch shore. It was evident people had been there before us with a fire place intact complete with mussels on a grid! We have always been lucky and had this place to ourselves. It is perfect for our boat and the fishing has always been excellent. Seals are abundant and it's just a fantastic location.
We have frequently watched The Forces flying planes and helicopters low over the loch, quite exciting.
Just down the road is Ardchattan Priory and garden.
Mountain scenery is not in short supply with Ben Cruachan (1126m) overlooking Taynault on the east as well as Ben Starav towards the north end. The Glen Etive mountains Bauchaille Etive Mon and Bauchaille Etive Beag dominate the northern end.
- Pros:Never been bothered by midges, here!!!!
- Cons:Nothing to complain about
- In a nutshell:Scottish bliss.....
We camped here both on our way to and from Mull in July 2012. A great place to stop, right by the old jetty which is... more travel advice
Our time on Loch Etive is simply spent, mainly boating, fishing and walking. Not to mention sitting relaxing and... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Loch Etive Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Loch Etive
- Hotels in Loch Etive
- Transportation in Loch Etive
- Shopping in Loch Etive
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Loch Etive
- 10 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Loch Etive?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Loch Etive
Photos in Loch EtiveSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 69 reviews, 243 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 68 reviews, 244 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 51 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues