"What A Lovely Little Place!" Helmsdale by nickandchris
Helmsdale Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 64 photos
We knew nothing of Helmsdale other than motorhomes were welcome. How right this was!
We called in to Helmsdale both on our journey north and then again on our homeward trip.
Our first stop in Helmsdale, we drove down to the harbour and parked in a carpark with picnic tables, right on the harbour side. Pleasant and easy enough.We had a wander around the harbour, admiring the colourful boats and thought "nice place."
On our return journey, we stopped in the village itself, in a small carpark with public toilets looking out to the river and hills behind. We wandered around the town and our overall impression was clean and tidy, plenty of free parking and lots of eating establishments.
Helmsdale sits on the eastern coast of Sutherland on the estuary of the River Helmsdale with the A9 cutting through the village on a new flyover type bridge.Although the town's existence dates back many years, 1814 saw the then planned village constructed by the Sutherland Estate for the re-settlement of communities ousted off lands during the Clearances.
The harbour was home to one of the largest herring fleets in Europe during it's heyday and today still plays a prominent part in the town, offering a safe haven to both pleasure boats and fishing boats.
From Helmsdale, a scenic road meanders along Strath Ullie and Strath Kildonan and northwards to Melvich. Well worth a trip on a sunny day for the stunning scenery.
- Pros:Plenty of eating places!
- In a nutshell:A delightful harbour village set in lovely countryside.
This is marked by a brown sign, placing it as a tourist attraction. There is a decent sized parking area off the A9... more travel advice
The attractive harbour at Helmsdale was developed in 1818, primarily as a port for the herring fishing fleet. Today,... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Helmsdale Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Helmsdale
- Transportation in Helmsdale
- Restaurants in Helmsdale
- Shopping in Helmsdale
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Helmsdale
- 4 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Helmsdale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helmsdale
Photos in HelmsdaleSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 56 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 70 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 70 reviews, 248 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 52 reviews, 258 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 53 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 199 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues