"Out And About Around Ingleton...." Ingleton by nickandchris
Ingleton Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 79 photos
This weekend we planned to spend around Ingleton, in North Yorkshire, just over the border from Cumbria.
As usual, we booked ourselves on to a 5 van site, at Clapham Station, a few miles down the road from Ingleton. A pleasant site, quiet and fairly secluded. From here, we explored the surrounding countryside by motorbike, visiting a large, ex show cave and taking delight in the superb scenery with it's massive limestone crags and submerged rivers.
After wandering around Ingleton,we enjoyed a pub lunch at the Black Bull in High Bentham before hitting the road again and circling back to the site via minor roads.
Although the weather was not at it's best and despite much rain on the Friday, we managed to keep dry all day Saturday before the rain set in once again as the night drew in.
An enjoyable weekend in stunning scenery. We shall return.
And return we did,mid October, this time staying on a CL closer to Ingleton.Our mission: - the waterfalls walk, which we undertook on the Saturday. A thoroughly enjoyable walk , well recommended.
Ingleton is on the east - west route, just off the A65 which now by-passes the town.The rivers Twiss and Doe flow into the river Greta at Ingleton, where the main road crosses.
It is a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts owing to the vast amount of activities available. It's all down to the geological aspect of the area, where glaciation has left huge swathes of limestone pavements, gorges and scars. Underground rivers have carved out huge caves and potholes and it is without doubt a speleologists delight. A couple of caves are show caves and open to the public but the rest are all there, waiting.....
From Ingleton, the famous waterfall walk also starts, a four and a half mile circular walk passing many falls, spectacular when in full spate.
For a more strenuous walk,Ingleborough, at 2372 feet, the famous flat topped mouintain in these parts, is another hiking possibility.
Ingleton even boasts an outdoor swimming pool!
There are camp sites, youth hostels, caravans, B&B's, hotels, pubs, all manner of accommodation but it is a popular area so be warned!
- Pros:Nice town, spectacular countryside.
- Cons:Can get rather busy....
- In a nutshell:So much waiting to be explored....
This is a must do walk, even if it does cost £4.50 a head!! Being in the motorhome,The ticket attendant advised us to... more travel advice
This is a well planned site about a mile south west of Ingleton. The three quarters of an acre mown field is slightly... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Ingleton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Out And About Around Ingleton...."
- "Ingleton, in the Yorkshire Dales"
- "Ingleton in the Wonderful Yorkshire Dales England"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ingleton
- 13 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Ingleton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ingleton
- Posted in Travel Lake District National Park Forum "Re: Holiday away for me and my..."
- Commented on one of nickandchris's Ingleton travel pages
- updated a Ingleton Travelogue "Waterfalls Galore!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Waterfalls Galore!"
- Wrote a Review Up The Twiss and Down The Doe Waterfalls Walk. in Ingleton Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 70 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 70 reviews, 248 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 52 reviews, 258 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues