"John O' Groats - No, Surrounding Coast - YES!" Top 5 Page for this destination John O'Groats by nickandchris
John O'Groats Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 60 photos
We weren't going to stop at John o'Groats, knowing it would be too touristy for our liking but in the end, we had to as we were passing directly by it.
Our overall impression was of a huge carpark, lots of souvenir shops, fast food outlets and hundreds of foreigners. I guess this place is like a magnet to them, they have to be able to say they have been here!
There is a signpost with various worldwide destinations and their mileage from John o'Groats but please note, if you wish to photogragh it, you will have to pay! and it is taken down at night time so you can't sneak a photo then (walk down to the harbour and there is another one that is free!)
The large John o'Groats hotel is a strange sight here, derelict but with vivid murals painted all over. I thought it rather out of place but then maybe not with all the other tourist tat on offer.
The nicest feature here is the harbour where fishing boats still work from and pleasure trips leave for Stroma and to view the sealife. Ferries also depart for Orkney from here and there is a seperate carpark for customers.
This page's tips are about the places nearby we visited.
- Pros:Free car park!!
- Cons:Over-hyped and over commercialised.
- In a nutshell:Nothing worth seeing apart from views of Stroma.
This beautiful wild bay was completely unexpected - on the way back from Skirza at the end of the road, I noticed a dirt... more travel advice
Out and about on the motorbike, we called into Gills Bay. This is quite a large, industrial type harbour where ferries... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
John O'Groats Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "John O' Groats - No, Surrounding Coast - YES!"
- "THIS IS A TOURIST TRAP - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED"
- "John O' Groats -the north of Scotland"
- "John O'Groats"
- "John O'Groats: Gate to the Orkneys-end of a route"
- "to go...or not to go"
- "The top of the UK"
- See All...
- Things to Do in John O'Groats
- Hotels in John O'Groats
- Transportation in John O'Groats
- Restaurants in John O'Groats
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in John O'Groats
- 5 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to John O'Groats?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in John O'Groats
- Posted in Travel Greece Forum "Re: Athens to Evia But from..."
- Commented on one of nickandchris's John O'Groats tips
- updated a John O'Groats Travel Page "John O' Groats - No, Surrounding Coast - YES!"
- Wrote a Review Freswick Bay. in John O'Groats Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Freswick Bay."
Photos in John O'GroatsSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 70 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 70 reviews, 248 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 52 reviews, 258 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues