Lake District National Park Transportation Tips by nickandchris Top 5 Page for this destination
Lake District National Park Transportation: 24 reviews and 32 photos
Make your choice.....
The Lake District is very popular with cyclists and there are many designated cycle routes, ranging from the simple, flat lanes to the very challenging mountain pass routes. Hardknott, Wrynose and the Langdale Passes are all mega attractions for those on two wheels, although these are proper roads on tarmac. The blue cycle tracks are everywhere, often depicting "challenging" routes, over mountains and through rivers etc. Make sure you know what your body can take before opting for difficult challenges.
Wrynose with the Duddon Valley below...
Heading out of the Duddon Valley by car north eastwards, there are two options, Hardknott Pass or Wrynose Pass. From Wrynose you can then take the pass over the Langdales. All of these routes are extremely scenic but admittedly, most of the time the driver won't be able to appreciate the spectacular landscape all around, as he concentrates on his driving. The roads are all single track, poorly surfaced in parts and climb some pretty steep gradients. There are also plenty of hairpin bends to negotiate, as well. Do not attempt to take a motorhome over these passes, that really is not sensible with some of the bends and sheer drops into the valley bottom! The rules are simple, if you are coming down, give way to those going up.Do not stop on your ascent. There are plenty of places to pull off the road to admire the views, don't use passing places.
Hardknott is the steepest pass in England, rising to 1291 feet, with a gradient of 1 in 3 and is Eskdale's eastern exit, joining Wrynose Pass and so into major tourist Lakeland at Skelwith Bridge on the A593.It's a most scenic route, taking your breath away as you negotiate the hairpin bends and gradients. Once you have descended Hardknott, you follow the river Duddon for a while, along Wrynose Bottom until you begin ascending again over Wrynose Pass. This is not quite as steep as Hardknott, but extreme care is still required. In the summer months it can take a considerable time driving this route, having to back-up and wait for to pass on the single track road. On the pass, you will notice the Three Shires Stone, where the three old counties of Westmorland, Cumberland and Lancashire met.
Langdale Pass takes in glorious views of the Langdale Pikes and there is a small car park at scenic Blea Tarn.
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Reviews (41)
- See All Graythwaite Hall Gardens.
- See All Stupendous Location...
- See All Ideal For Haverthwaite Steam Railway
- See All The Langdale Valleys
nickandchris' Related Pages
Lake District National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Right On Our Doorstep......"
- "A favourite part of the country"
- "Lake District"
- "Ben-UK's Lake District page"
- "It`s Just A Hop Skip And A Jump"
- "Scenery at its best"
- "The Lake District - scenery at its best"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lake District National Park
- Hotels in Lake District National Park
- Transportation in Lake District National Park
- Nightlife in Lake District National Park
- Restaurants in Lake District National Park
- Shopping in Lake District National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Lake District National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lake District National Park
- 43 Reviews
- 199 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Lake District National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake District National Park
- Posted in Travel Greece Forum "Re: Advice for best island for..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Graythwaite Hall Gardens."
- Wrote a Review Graythwaite Hall Gardens. in Lake District National Park Things to Do
- updated a Lake District National Park Travel Page "Right On Our Doorstep......"
- Commented on one of zuriga's Lake District National Park travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Lake District National Park
Photos in Lake District National ParkSee All Photos (199)
Videos in Lake District National ParkSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 56 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 70 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 70 reviews, 248 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 52 reviews, 258 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 53 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 199 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues