"What A Nice Little Place On The River Esk" Langholm by nickandchris
Langholm Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 53 photos
Langholm in Dumfrieshire (The Muckle Toon) Is a town of over 2500 inhabitants, situated 19 miles north of Carlisle on the main A7 between Carlisle and Edinburgh.
This was a real surprise to us, never having really given the place any thought before now, we found Langholm lovely, sitting on the banks of the River Esk and surrounded by hills. On a sunny day, the riverside was busy with lunchtime picnickers. After a prolonged dry spell, the river was extremely low.
The town has a population of 2500 and grew up mainly because of the textile industry, with woollen mills dominating the scene.Today, I guess it's residents mainly work further afield, the town being 19 miles north of Carlisle and south of Edinburgh.
Langholm's famous residents were the communist poet Hugh McDiarmid (a memmorial to him is to be seen on the fells east of the town) and civil engineer Thomas Telford, who lived just outside Langholm. The first man on the moon, Neil Armstrong, also has strong bonds with the town after visiting in the 70's.
Also prominent on the eastern fells is a monument to local statesman, historian and soldier, Sir John Malcolm (1769 - 1833.)The vehicular track up to it is kept padlocked but we noticed a number of cars being escorted back down after a visit.
I feel we will definitely pay a longer visit to Langholm in the not too distant future.
AND WE DID, OCTOBER 2011 WHERE WE ENJOYED A PUB LUNCH AND A WALK ALONG THE RIVER. MY FIRST IMPRESSIONS WERE CORRECT, IT IS A LOVELY LITTLE TOWN.
- Pros:Beautiful scenery just over the border....
- In a nutshell:Traditional town in a lovely setting.
On a dull October day, we found ourselves in the pleasant town of Langholm, just north of the border. We decided to have... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Langholm Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Early Years in the Muckle Toon"
- "What A Nice Little Place On The River Esk"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Langholm
- Hotels in Langholm
- Transportation in Langholm
- Nightlife in Langholm
- Restaurants in Langholm
- Shopping in Langholm
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Langholm
- 3 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (104)
Have you been to Langholm?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Langholm
- Posted in Travel Greece Forum "Re: Money Money Money"
- Wrote a Review Plenty of Choice, Good Enough... in Langholm Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Plenty of Choice, Good Enough..."
- updated a Langholm Travel Page "What A Nice Little Place On The River Esk"
- Commented on one of clivedinburgh's Langholm travel pages
Photos in LangholmSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 61 reviews, 299 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 72 reviews, 280 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 56 reviews, 279 photos, 1 travelogue
- Scotland Intro, 71 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 53 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 199 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues