"A Spectacular Landscape - Shame About The Crowds.." Malham by nickandchris
Malham Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 166 photos
During our few days away in the motorhome in October we visited Malham and it's attractions. It's somewhere I think I may have visited many years ago but to be on the safe side thought we owed the place a re-visit.
Malham village itself is attractive enough but it's difficult to see it amongst the hordes of people thronging the place. It's mainly hikers around here,the world famous Pennine Way passes through Malham and the Cove attracting walkers from far and wide. There are a couple of pubs, a cafe or two welcoming muddy boots, a smithy and a Visitor's Centre, as well as the odd guest house and B&B farmhouse. There's also a campsite, ideally located at the start of the Cove walk.
After nearly dying from shock from the parking fees, we headed off for Malham Cove, dragging a moaning Philip with us! The walk from the carpark begins on the narrow road; keep an eye on young children. Walking uphill, you take a right through a kissing gate, from where you can see the Cove before you. It's another five minute walk on the concreted path until you reach the foot of the massive 250 feet high limestone cliff. Malham Beck now flows under the cliff, instead of over the edge and emerges in front, somewhat spookily.
To view the magnificent limestone pavement on the top of the cove, there are steps leading up the left hand side of the cliff, bringing you out on top, on the pavement. From here, there are wonderful views looking back down the valley, with it's dry-stone walled fields and limestone outcrops.
Take the narrow road out of Malham, up past the Cove and you'll find yourself on wild moorland, finally leading to Malham Tarn, from where Malham Beck springs from. The tarn is only accessible on foot and is an area of Special Scientific Interest, with it's nature trails leading round the tarn.
Further down the valley is another favourite spot for walkers, Gordale Scar, a massive collapsed cave system which has created a twisting gorge carved through the limestone. This, I believe, can be treacherous walking, having to scramble over wet boulders. Don't attempt this in sandals!!!
And finally, there's pretty Janet's Foss, a waterfall set in an ancient woodland where you can walk along the river back to the village or onto Gordale Scar.
Yes, the whole area is spectacularly beautiful and I'm glad we have seen it but..... too many people, all the time, I imagine. Not being one for crowds, I felt somewhat frustrated that we were in a constant procession of people, walking around here.
- Pros:Amazing geology, beautiful scenery, not to be missed.
- Cons:The crowds.... and parking fees.
- In a nutshell:Don't expect to come here and be on your own.
On our visit to Malham Cove we watched a group of rock climbers ascending the limestone cliff. They were perched on a... more travel advice
This campsite we only passed whilst walking to Malham Cove. It's literally in the field before the walk and is a nice,... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Malham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Glorious Malham"
- "A Spectacular Landscape - Shame About The Crowds.."
- "A bit about Malham ...."
- "Mystical Malham"
- "MALHAM VIEWS"
- "Malham Cove"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Malham
- Hotels in Malham
- Transportation in Malham
- Restaurants in Malham
- Shopping in Malham
- Warnings and Dangers in Malham
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Malham
- 13 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Malham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Malham
Photos in MalhamSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 61 reviews, 299 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 72 reviews, 280 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 56 reviews, 279 photos, 1 travelogue
- Scotland Intro, 71 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 53 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 199 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues