"Wales' Crowning Glory......." Pembrokeshire Coast National Park by nickandchris

An Introduction.....

Pembrokeshire is one of our favourite haunts in Wales. The spectacular coastline takes some beating - it's just so beautiful.

It is Britain's only truly coastal national park, practically all of the 170 miles of Pembrokeshire's coast are in the Park. The Atlantic Ocean washes three sides of the peninsula and at Milford Haven the estuary splits into the Pembroke, Carew, Creswell and Eastern and western Cleddau rivers.
Tourism and agriculture, as well as a little fishing, are the main industries.

My first visits to Pembrokeshire were as a child on family holidays. I know my parents loved the coastline, comparing it with Cornwall ,where we had spent many a holiday. South Wales was a little closer to us so the decision was made to give Pembrokeshire a try. After that initial holiday, I don't think we returned to Cornwall ever again, as a family.

The magnificent cliffs, spectacular surfing beaches, pretty little coves and blue, blue sea were all part and parcel of a holiday in Pembrokeshire.

Re-acquainting Ourselves.....

When Michael was born, we decided to have a holiday in Pembrokeshire, fond memories of my family holidays flashing through my head.
Michael was only 3 months old so instead of camping in our small ridge tent, we borrowed my parents trailer tent. This was a huge success as it kept us all off the ground and gave us more space.
Every day we would pack a picnic and set off touring the area. Nick also kn ew parts of Pembrokeshire from his family holidays but luckily he knew of places I didn't and vice-versa. Basing ourselves just north of Haverfordwest we discovered not only the tourist side of Pembrokeshire but also the interesting workaday towns like Milford Haven and Neyland.
After two weeks, we reckoned we knew this part of the world pretty well.

Long Overdue Return.....

1998 and a year after we had made our overland journey to Greece. Nick was diagnosed with oral cancer and was awaiting major surgery. Snap decision, "Let's go on holiday to Pembrokeshire." Which we did and tried to enjoy ourselves and forget our problems for a while.
This time, the four of us were in the motorhome so access to some beaches was a little tricky, but basically, we knew where we wanted to go and what to see.We stayed on CL's so it was a cheap holiday. The weather was pretty good so we mixed visits to the beach with some fishing, walking and sightseeing.
I know Nick and I were reluctant to return home back to reality and hospital after this memorable last minute holiday.
There are so many beaches to discover, fantastic coastal walking, lighthouses, castles, harbours - a bit of everything. The only disappointment, as far as I'm concerned, is that the hinterland of Pembrokeshire is not overly exciting, there being no mountains!!!

I think we will return in the not too distant future.

TIPS ARE TO BE ADDED.

• Pros:The most beautiful coastline......
  • Cons:Relatively boring landscape away from the coast.......
  • In a nutshell:Just spectacular......
  • Last visit to Pembrokeshire Coast National Park: Aug 1998
  • Intro Updated Feb 5, 2006

• mustertal's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2008 at 2:44 AM

I came to thank you for rating my Pals page,. Then I saw these pages of my favorite places in Wales.

• boltonian's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2008 at 3:50 AM

I have been here and found it to be deserted, and the castle pretty impressive. Guess it is about the time you go. Not quite Pembroke Castle though!!!

• davesut's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2007 at 12:15 AM

A theme for liking to get away from the crowds emerges, we found Manobier pleasant out of season, compared to Algarve in summer where all beaches are crowded I think it would be great. Great descriptions that capture things to do and avoid

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2006 at 12:12 AM

Amazing pages! Fantastic pictures. The kind of place I'd love to visit.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2006 at 4:40 AM

The sort of pages I joined VT to read. Reek of class

• adelaidean's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2006 at 11:08 PM

Fantastic photos....and what a beautiful part of the world!!

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2006 at 4:27 AM

What a beautiful part of Wales! Marloes Sands looks absolutely stunning!!

• tissie's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2006 at 11:12 AM

A lot in common, I agree. Love your Scotland and Pembrokeshire pages, beautiful places both. Feeling like packing up the tent and taking off!! Thanks, Tissie

• Spincat's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2006 at 7:00 AM

I didn't realise you'd been here! One of my earliest memories is of Marloes. And another beach Tresaith, which I went back to for first time last November in worst weather possible!

• grets's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2006 at 12:37 AM

Great page! :-) I am looking forward to my trip to Pembrokeshire in May. Thanks. :-)

nickandchris

“Take nothing but photographs. Leave nothing but footprints.”

Badges & Stats in Pembrokeshire Coast National Park

Have you been to Pembrokeshire Coast National Park?