"Wales' Crowning Glory......." Pembrokeshire Coast National Park by nickandchris
Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 181 photos
Pembrokeshire is one of our favourite haunts in Wales. The spectacular coastline takes some beating - it's just so beautiful.
It is Britain's only truly coastal national park, practically all of the 170 miles of Pembrokeshire's coast are in the Park. The Atlantic Ocean washes three sides of the peninsula and at Milford Haven the estuary splits into the Pembroke, Carew, Creswell and Eastern and western Cleddau rivers.
Tourism and agriculture, as well as a little fishing, are the main industries.
My first visits to Pembrokeshire were as a child on family holidays. I know my parents loved the coastline, comparing it with Cornwall ,where we had spent many a holiday. South Wales was a little closer to us so the decision was made to give Pembrokeshire a try. After that initial holiday, I don't think we returned to Cornwall ever again, as a family.
The magnificent cliffs, spectacular surfing beaches, pretty little coves and blue, blue sea were all part and parcel of a holiday in Pembrokeshire.
When Michael was born, we decided to have a holiday in Pembrokeshire, fond memories of my family holidays flashing through my head.
Michael was only 3 months old so instead of camping in our small ridge tent, we borrowed my parents trailer tent. This was a huge success as it kept us all off the ground and gave us more space.
Every day we would pack a picnic and set off touring the area. Nick also kn ew parts of Pembrokeshire from his family holidays but luckily he knew of places I didn't and vice-versa. Basing ourselves just north of Haverfordwest we discovered not only the tourist side of Pembrokeshire but also the interesting workaday towns like Milford Haven and Neyland.
After two weeks, we reckoned we knew this part of the world pretty well.
1998 and a year after we had made our overland journey to Greece. Nick was diagnosed with oral cancer and was awaiting major surgery. Snap decision, "Let's go on holiday to Pembrokeshire." Which we did and tried to enjoy ourselves and forget our problems for a while.
This time, the four of us were in the motorhome so access to some beaches was a little tricky, but basically, we knew where we wanted to go and what to see.We stayed on CL's so it was a cheap holiday. The weather was pretty good so we mixed visits to the beach with some fishing, walking and sightseeing.
I know Nick and I were reluctant to return home back to reality and hospital after this memorable last minute holiday.
There are so many beaches to discover, fantastic coastal walking, lighthouses, castles, harbours - a bit of everything. The only disappointment, as far as I'm concerned, is that the hinterland of Pembrokeshire is not overly exciting, there being no mountains!!!
I think we will return in the not too distant future.
TIPS ARE TO BE ADDED.
- Pros:The most beautiful coastline......
- Cons:Relatively boring landscape away from the coast.......
- In a nutshell:Just spectacular......
Many years ago I remember taking a boat trip to the nature reserve of Skomer Island.from Martin's Haven, west of Milford... more travel advice
A real surfers' beach, so popular at all times. Not to be confused with Freshwater East, which is totally ruined with... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wales' Crowning Glory......."
- "Newport, Pembrokeshire"
- "West Coast of Wales"
- "Archaeologist's Paradise"
- "Pembrokeshire Coast National Park"
- "Stunning coastline"
- "Britains Only Coastal National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pembrokeshire Coast National Park
- Hotels in Pembrokeshire Coast National Park
- Restaurants in Pembrokeshire Coast National Park
- Shopping in Pembrokeshire Coast National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pembrokeshire Coast National Park
- 23 Reviews
- 84 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to Pembrokeshire Coast National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pembrokeshire Coast National Park
- Posted in Travel Crete Island Forum "Re: Relaxing, quiet, "
- Commented on one of ranger49's Pembrokeshire Coast National Park travel pages
- updated a Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Travelogue "What's Left......"
- Uploaded a Photo to "What's Left......"
- Wrote a Review Boat Trips to Islands in Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Off The Beaten Path
Photos in Pembrokeshire Coast National ParkSee All Photos (84)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 72 reviews, 280 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 59 reviews, 289 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 56 reviews, 279 photos, 1 travelogue
- Scotland Intro, 71 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 53 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 199 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues