"A Nice Little Spot....." Port William by nickandchris
Port William Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 20 photos
Port William is on the A747 but despite this, it is a quiet sort of place. It's main feature is the harbour, dating from the late 18th century, which is a safe haven for fishing boats and there is a slipway for launching leisure craft. Probably because it was blowing a gale on our visit, all was very quiet at the harbour.Port William has it's own Inshore rescue boat.
There are a couple of large green areas, for parking and picnicking, overlooking the sea. We stopped at the northern one and found the wonderful statue by Andrew Brown of the man looking out to sea, contemplating life. Here is also a fingerpost with some placenames with mileage, as the crow flies.
There are some lovely beaches in this area, where rockpooling is a favourite activity, along with swimming and fishing.
Gavin Maxwell lived at Monreith House, about a mile away and often used to take his otters on the beach to the south of Monreith.A beautiful statue of an otter is located above this beach.
Accommodation ranges from a caravan site,B&B's, self catering and the odd hotel.
- Pros:Old fashioned, quaint place.
- Cons:A little wild on a windy day!
- In a nutshell:Seaside location with plenty to see in the area.
If you read this sign, it tells you the interesting fact that Port William in New Zealand lies underneath! Something to... more travel advice
I had never heard of Monreith before this holiday but am glad we took time and visited it! It is a tiny community with a... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Port William Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Port William
- 5 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Port William?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port William
Photos in Port WilliamSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 69 reviews, 243 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 68 reviews, 244 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 51 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues