"A Right Yorkshire Gem" Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond by nickandchris
Richmond Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 108 photos
Richmond in Yorkshire, England, is one of 57 places with this name, scattered around the world. Somewhere we often travelled close to but somehow never got round to visiting! Not so, over the Christmas break we finally managed a brief look at this most picturesque Yorkshire gem and I must say were suitably impressed.
Yorkshire's Richmond is situated right in the centre of Great Britain, in the district of Richmondshire, on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales National park. The River Swale flows alongside the town.
Scotch Corner is 4 miles away, where the north/south trunk road A1 and east/west A66 route converge, making Richmond a fairly easy place to reach.
It is a most pleasant market town, very compact, with a wonderful Norman castle to explore, fantastic Georgian buildings (particularly in Frenchgate) built during the woollen and mining eras and the oldest Georgian Theatre in England. This was built in 1788 and closed in 1848 to reopen many years later in 1963 when it was restored and extended in 2003.
Richmond has plenty of easy parking,( some of it free), all within a short distance of the centre. There are public toilets. As for eating out, you are spoilt for choice. All the pubs we looked at were serving food, and had varied menus as well.
We really liked what we saw of Richmond. We were pushed for time as we were visiting relatives later in the day so only had time to look at the castle and enjoy a pub meal. We really must return soon to discover more of Richmond's delights. Thoroughly recommended and very suprised that it is so little known.
- Pros:Compact, olde worlde and pretty.
- In a nutshell:An unexpected suprise. Easy parking with no height barriers.....
From Richmond castle there are steps down to a tiered garden, which reaches down to the banks of the River Swale. This... more travel advice
As always, we had come prepared, with plenty of food in the van. The idea was, look at the castle, lunch in the van and... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Richmond Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Right Yorkshire Gem"
- "Gateway to Swaledale"
- "Richmond on Swale."
- "BIRCHY DRIVES PAST RICHMOND"
- "Richmond - Englands best Georgian town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Richmond
- Hotels in Richmond
- Transportation in Richmond
- Restaurants in Richmond
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Richmond
- 4 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Richmond?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Richmond
Photos in RichmondSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 56 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 70 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 70 reviews, 248 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 52 reviews, 258 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 53 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 199 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues