"The Rhinns of Galloway and Surrounds" Stranraer by nickandchris
Stranraer Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 74 photos
This little page is more about our latest visit to this area, when we visited Glenwhan Gardens, east of Stranraer. As we only drove through Stranraer,the page has no information about the town although I have added some tips on a few places on this peninsula which we have visited on other occassions.
The Rhinns of Galloway, as this most westerly prong of Dumfries and Galloway is called, is some 25 miles in length from head to toe.The Mull of Galloway at the southern end, is surrounded by a ferocious sea with treacherous currents and is the most southerly point of Scotland.
Loch Ryan cuts into the peninsula's north eastern flank, from which ferries leave from Stranraer and Cairnryan for Ireland. It is quite exciting watching the high speed boats as they create a huge wake. There are warnings everywhere to beware of sudden massive waves when you are on certain parts of the loch. This sea loch had a strong military presence during WW2 and flying boats were trained here as well as the loch being used for bombing practice.
The Rhinns has some superb sandy beaches, some very secluded and a hike to get to, others more accessible, like Port Logan, New England and Luce Sands. There are at least three decent gardens to visit as well as a Victorian fish pond.
It is a wonderful area, clean and welcoming with plenty of outdoor activities. Fishing is said to be particularly good in this area and boat launching at Port Logan, Port Patrick, Loch Ryan, Drummore and Stairhaven.
- Pros:Beaches, harbours,gardens, castles and lots more...
- Cons:None whatsoever.
- In a nutshell:Well worth the long drive westwards to this wonderful region
An outstanding garden set in the grounds of two castles. 2mile garden walk including two lochs. Impressive rhododendron... more travel advice
A beautiful sandy beach to the north of Portpatrick. A fairly narrow road heads down off the A764 for some two miles to... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Stranraer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Rhinns of Galloway and Surrounds"
- "information on stranraer"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stranraer
- 14 Reviews
- 71 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Stranraer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stranraer
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 59 reviews, 289 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 71 reviews, 267 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 70 reviews, 248 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 52 reviews, 258 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 53 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 199 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues