"An Island Off Cumbria" Isle of Walney by nickandchris
Isle of Walney Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 64 photos
OK. then, who's heard of this place? Not many, I guarantee.
Walney Island, as us locals know it, not Isle of Walney, is one of Cumbria's off the beaten track places. It's a long, thin, low lying piece of land, approx. 11 miles long, 1 mile wide, sitting in the Irish Sea. It is at the western end of the A590 in South Cumbria and is separated from Barrow-in-Furness by a narrow channel, crossed by a single bridge.
This is where I lived as a young child, enjoying the freedom of it's beaches and country lanes, hating to have to leave it and my friends at the age of 10, when we moved to Grange-0ver-Sands.
Many of it's 13,000 or so inhabitants live in terraced or semi-detached houses, originally built for the workforce of Barrow docks and the shipbuilding company Vickers Armstrong. The higher up the rung you were, the bigger the house. You know how it goes....
The island's two oldest settlements are Biggar and North Scale, established long before Barrow's shipbuilding industry. Biggar Dyke, a coastal defence system, was built in 16thc. Just a couple of years ago, this was breached when seriously strong winds and high tides swept the sea over and swamped Biggar Village, actually leaving it stranded for a day or so. There is serious concern regarding Walney's survival with much coastal erosion occurring on it's western side.
People either love it or hate it. If you like nature reserves, bird-watching, wild, empty beaches and not much else, then you'll be OK. But, if, on the other hand, you want retail therapy, night life or even mountain scenery, they are all still within a stone's throw of Walney. Really, you can have the best of both worlds as Walney's proximity to Barrow means all mod cons are at hand.
Walney is also close to the Lake District and if you want a change from all that mountain scenery then the island's sandy beaches are an ideal alternative.
A couple of websites about the island:
- Cons:The massive off-shore wind-farm...
- In a nutshell:At the end of the world....
I'm not sure how long kite surfing has been popular at Earnsie Bay, on Walney but I know for the last couple of years at... more travel advice
As I've said, Walney is at the end of the A590. As if that isn't daunting enough, there is only one access point to... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Isle of Walney Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An Island Off Cumbria"
- "Walney - where, did you say?"
- "Welcome to Walney"
- "WHERE'S THE BAY?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isle of Walney
- Hotels in Isle of Walney
- Transportation in Isle of Walney
- Restaurants in Isle of Walney
- Warnings and Dangers in Isle of Walney
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isle of Walney
- 11 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to Isle of Walney?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isle of Walney
- Posted in Travel Crete Island Forum "Re: Relaxing, quiet, "
- updated a Isle of Walney Travel Page "An Island Off Cumbria"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Warm Atmosphere."
- Wrote a Review Kite Surfing in Isle of Walney Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Video to Isle of Walney
- Commented on one of KennetRose's Isle of Walney travel pages
Photos in Isle of WalneySee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 72 reviews, 280 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 59 reviews, 289 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 56 reviews, 279 photos, 1 travelogue
- Scotland Intro, 71 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 53 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 199 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues