"Wensleydale" Top 5 Page for this destination Yorkshire Dales National Park by nickandchris
Yorkshire Dales National Park Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 473 photos
October 2005 half term and we made a long promised return trip to Wensleydale. In the late 80's and early 90's we used to camp at Simonstone, near Hardraw and enjoyed exploring the area. For some reason when we got the motorhome, we stopped our trips to Yorkshire and opted for pastures new. Now, coinciding with a friend's 50th birthday party, we finally returned. The weather was atrocious and never stopped raining from the Friday to theTuesday, when we came home. Still, it gave us the ideal opportunity to see the waterfalls in full spate. A sight worth braving the elements for.
Wensleydale stretches from Hawes to Masham and sits in the valley of the River Ure. Unusually, the name Wensleydale originates from the village of Wensley's name, rather than being named after the river, like most valleys. Swaledale is linked to Wensleydale by the famous Buttertubs Pass, so named from the deep limestone pots looking like butter tubs. Other dales connected to Wensleydale are Bishopdale, Waldendale and Coverdale. The spectacular Hardraw Force (Scarr) is just north of Hawes and is formed by Fossdale Beck pouring over limestone cliffs creating England's highest single drop waterfall. This then joins the Ure at Hawes.
It is great walking country, whether you are a serious walker or a novice. There are lots of nice river walks, some with spectacular water falls, others a more gentle stroll along the flat valley.
Castles and old churches are a feature of Wensleydale along with magnificent dry stone wall barns in nearly every field.
The disused railway line between Redmire and Leeming Bar has recently been resurrected by a private organisation and trains run daily.
Leyburn is the place for fresh produce, where Farmers' Markets are held every 4th Saturday of the month.
Hawes is home to the Creamery and Dairy where the famous Wensleydale Cheese is produced and Is open to the public.
Wensleydale to me means rolling hills and moorland, dry-stone walls, rivers, waterfalls and of course, barrns and more barns. The scenery is gentler than the Lake District and the villages appear far more wealthy. Money seems no object, villages are well kept, properties cost a fortune and everything is at a price. Private signs are prolific, money-making enterprises everywhere and pub meals expensive. We got the impression that children were not made to feel welcome, shunting families into dingy dining rooms and one pub even stating; "No pushchairs") Come on, this is big tourist country. I really don't think this attitude is to anyones benefit. Needless to say, we didn't patronise these places.
Wensleydale is without a doubt a very beautiful part of the world but it is also over-run with tourists and in all seasons, chock-a-block. Having had my moan, it is somewhere well worth a visit and is an excellent area for walking. There are also lots of exciting things to do and places to visit.
More info at:- www.yorkshiredales.org
Tourist Info. at Leyburn 01969 623069
Aysgarth 01969 663424/759
Hawes 01969 667450 / 663494
- Pros:Lots to see and do
- Cons:Too popular and too far from the coast!!!
- In a nutshell:Hills, dales, rivers and waterfalls
Yet another weekend spent in North Yorkshire, anyone would think we liked the area!!!This time we chose the tiny village... more travel advice
This is a beautiful garden to visit and a great day out. Originally we were going to visit Thorp Perrow Arboretum, just... more travel advice
Written Nov 8, 2005
Bolton Castle Miscellaneous
Written Nov 8, 2005
The Rest of The Forbidden Corner
nickandchris' Related Pages
Yorkshire Dales National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ben-UK's Yorkshire Dales National Park page"
- "God's own country!"
- "SCENIC YORKSHIRE DALES"
- "Dales, Fells and Limestone"
- "Yorkshire Dales"
- "A Dales Woman at Heart"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Hotels in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Transportation in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Restaurants in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Shopping in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- 21 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Yorkshire Dales National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Posted in Travel Greece Forum "Re: Athens to Evia But from..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Around Fearby"
- Wrote a Review Around Fearby in Yorkshire Dales National Park Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Yorkshire Dales National Park Travel Page "Wensleydale"
- Commented on one of Helga67's Yorkshire Dales National Park travel pages
Photos in Yorkshire Dales National ParkSee All Photos (103)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 70 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 70 reviews, 248 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 52 reviews, 258 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (50)
Latest Yorkshire Dales National Park hotel reviews
- Wensleydale Heifer Hotel
- 490 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013