"LESVOS, A MAGNIFICENTLY DIVERSE ISLAND" Prefecture of Lesvos by nickandchris
Prefecture of Lesvos Travel Guide: 316 reviews and 788 photos
Lesvos was our Greek holiday destination for 2009. Not having been to this third largest of the Greek islands for twenty years, we decided there was plenty of scope for a fortnight's holiday. This was our first holiday on an island for many a year and we weren't quite sure what to expect.
We didn't get off to a good start, our flight being delayed for 24 hours due to a general strike in Greece. A whole day spent at the Bewley Hotel at Manchester Airport is not one I want to repeat!!
As we disembarked from the aeroplane at Mytilini airport, the heat struck us. Ohhh, how wonderful after our long, cold English winter. Our hire car awaited and off we set, all within half an hour of landing. Brilliant! Our journey to Molyvos took us about 1.5 hours, not including a stop at Lidl to stock up on a few essentials.
Having looked at Google Earth we had a good idea of where the Eriphilly apartments were and yes, we were correct, on the Eftalou road, after the football pitch and on the left. We were the first to arrive, the other folks were all arriving on the transfer coach. We found our apartment and made ourselves at home. Before long, the owner greeted us and seemed a little put out we had arrived early and found our own room!! Strangely, he took our passports (never, ever had this with a package holiday before) which put US out a little!
Our apartment was one of six, I think and below us were small studios. The kitchen/ living area was pretty small and had a basic bed settee for Philip, our 14 year old. More info on the apartment in accommodation tips.
We quickly unpacked, put our shopping away and made our way to the swimming pool and bar. This was lovely, although we are not pool people, especially with a bar where everyone can watch you, but it was absolutely ideal for our son. In the end, he made good friends with the only other 14 year old and they spent their days together, swimming, ordering themselves food, playing football and going into Molyvos to do their own thing.
Our fellow holidaymakers were all very friendly, some having been back to Eriphilly many times and we felt quite at home.We also had some nice cats resident, one of which was clever enough to pull herself up the vine and jump onto our balcony. Very resourceful!!
Molyvos (or Mithymna as it's also known) is a beautifully preserved town built on a hill, where all streets (mostly cobbled) and steps climb eventually up to the castle, from where there are magnificent views over the whole of the town and surrounding countryside.There are many shops, both traditional and touristy, but expensive, don't forget Molyvos is the major tourist destination on the island. Yes, it is touristy, but not horribly so, most of the shops and tavernas still have Greek writing on their signs as the dominant language and it is SUCH a pretty destination. The harbour area is very popular, watching the boat activity as you enjoy a drink or meal, but once again, be prepared to pay. Having said this, you can find more reasonably priced eateries if you don't stick to the harbour.
As I said, we weren't too sure what to expect from Lesvos, recalling vague memories of a barren, treeless landscape. Oh, how wrong we were, it is a stunningly beautiful island with very diverse scenery, ranging from the barren, moorland, to orange groves, to lunar landscape, hot springs, spectacular volcanic scenery with wierdly shaped rocks seemingly balanced, ready to tumble, beautiful green gorges with tumbling rivers, and not forgetting a variable coastline from long swathes of sand to tiny rocky coves.
The towns and villages are beautiful, though driving through them is a challenge. The main road will usually narrow right down, become cobbled and wind it's way up or down, steeply, through the entire village before you return back to the wider blacktop!! Such a relief, then you realise you have to return this way!
It's all there on Lesvos, just make sure you get out and discover it for yourself. It is no good holidaying on Lesvos without having your own transport, the island is too large, making distances long and time consuming by bus, (if the route was available) and please, do not just sit on a beach or round a swimming pool for your entire holiday. This is not seeing Lesvos, the real Lesvos.
Just an amazing island.
For the story of our first visit to Lesvos in 1989 please visit:Lesvos The First Time
- Pros:So much to go at.....
- Cons:Driving through the villages!!!!
- In a nutshell:Beautiful villages set amongst such diverse scenery.
The Gulf of Kalloni is Lesvos's larger of two gulfs and is fairly central to the island. It is a Natura 2000 protected... more travel advice
Once again, we only stopped for a drink here. The Cockerel is tucked away in the small streets of Petri. Follow the... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Prefecture of Lesvos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LESVOS, A MAGNIFICENTLY DIVERSE ISLAND"
- "the land of ouzo"
- "A taste of the island"
- "The most friendly people"
- "Prefecture of Lesvos"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prefecture of Lesvos
- Hotels in Prefecture of Lesvos
- Transportation in Prefecture of Lesvos
- Nightlife in Prefecture of Lesvos
- Restaurants in Prefecture of Lesvos
- Shopping in Prefecture of Lesvos
- Warnings and Dangers in Prefecture of Lesvos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prefecture of Lesvos
- 54 Reviews
- 267 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to Prefecture of Lesvos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prefecture of Lesvos
- Posted in Travel Greece Forum "Re: Map of Crete"
- Commented on one of nickandchris's Prefecture of Lesvos travel pages
- updated a Prefecture of Lesvos Travel Page "LESVOS, A MAGNIFICENTLY DIVERSE ISLAND"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Collection Of Wild and Garden Flowers From Lesvos"
- Wrote a Review Gulf Of Kalloni in Prefecture of Lesvos Things to Do
Photos in Prefecture of LesvosSee All Photos (267)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 72 reviews, 280 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 59 reviews, 289 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 56 reviews, 279 photos, 1 travelogue
- Scotland Intro, 71 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 53 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 199 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues