"BEFORE CAPTAIN CORELLI" Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Cefalonia by nickandchris
Prefecture of Cefalonia Travel Guide: 467 reviews and 1,122 photos
Kefalonia, the largest of the Ionian group of islands,didn't encourage tourism until the mid '80's, fiercely independent and stubborn. Many residents had worked and lived in America and either sent money home or later returned to the island, a lot wealthier than when they left. They didn't feel the need for tourism.How things change, as Kefalonia is now an extremely popular destination for a Greek holiday, especially since the film, Captain Corelli's Mandolin.
Many of the villages are modern, being shattered almost completely by an earthquake in 1953, some even being built in the American style. Fiskardo, in the north, is one village to have escaped the earthquakes relatively unscathed.
Kefalonia is renowned for it's Robola wine.
1987 and Michael was 18 months old. It was time we introduced him to Greece! Destination Kefalonia. We had spent three days here back in '84 on a trip from Zakynttos.
We opted for a package holiday, knowing we would need to pre-book a cot . We went with Grecian Holidays, (it was a long time ago!!) and stayed in Skala in the Memmi Rooms which unfortunately were on one of the main roads in Skala.
Basic room with a shared kitchen and narrow, shared verandah. The pre-booked cot failed to materialise until we kicked up a stink and then various fastenings on it were missing. Good job we carried bungi ropes!!! We had to tie one side up. As our reason for taking a "package" rather than a" flight only" had been the pre-booked cot ,we were not particularly pleased with Grecian Holidays for cocking this up. Once it was all sorted, we had a thotoughly enjoyable holiday on a very beautiful island.
Skala, in 1987. Well, it was very much developing into a resort then, with a decent number of tavernas and a few shops. The magnificent beach extended for miles, with no buildings behind, just an attractively green backdrop of pines and one taverna above the beach. If you walked to the end of the beach pictured here, I seem to remember it became fairly wild with a river running into the sea. To the other end were large rocks which made an impressive sight with the waves crashing over them.
I don't remember there being many rooms to rent as it was mainly package tourism. Nowadays, that is still the case but I guess there is independent accommodation as well. It is certainly well and truely "costa'd" now and wouldn't suit us, whereas back in the '80's it was quiet and compact with the unspoilt beach not even having any sunbeds marring it.
We particularly enjoyed our evenings out at the tavernas in Skala.
After a few days lazing about we decided enough was enough and hired a car. It was getting pretty boring beaching it every day, we were ready to see what Kefalonia had to offer.
In those days, maps of Greek islands were abysmal and lots of places wouldn't be featured or places that you couldn't get to or find would be marked. Sound familiar? We had many an argument when we couldn't find where we wanted to get to!!!
There weren't many places we left unturned. Michael travelled well and would usually fall asleep just as we arrived somewhere interesting so we would keep going to allow him to have a decent sleep and return at a later date.
Kefalonia is gloriously mountainous and green with cypress and pines predominating. Mount Enos, now a National Park to protect the fir tree Abies Cefalonica, soars to 1632 m which is accessible by road and on foot.
Beaches vary from huge sandy swathes to tiny pebble coves.
Spectacular sights, with Drongarati Caves and Melissani Lake a definite must. Try and visit before the crowds. We had Melissani to ourselves!!
I would visit Kefalonia again, in early or late season. It would be interesting to see the changes. In fact, we are toying with the idea of a last minute deal in Oct. half term, as long as the price is right!!!!
- Pros:Mountains and beaches. Plenty to explore.
- Cons:Pricier than some Greek destinations.
- In a nutshell:Spectacularly scenic...
Lovely little place in 1987. Another spot where the yotties called, but not to the same extent as Fiscardo. It has a... more travel advice
We made this excursion by motorbike on our first trip to Kefalonia. We were really impressed. I remember walking down... more travel advice
- See All Make Way...!!!!
- Odd luggage......
- Skala Eateries
- Agios Nikolaos
Written May 9, 2016
Kefalonia Golden Oldies
Written May 9, 2016
More Golden Oldies......
nickandchris' Related Pages
Prefecture of Cefalonia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kefalonia "
- "Useful telephone numbers"
- "BEFORE CAPTAIN CORELLI"
- "The Quiet Ionian"
- "No mandolins here..."
- "Kefalonia - the largest Ionian island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prefecture of Cefalonia
- Hotels in Prefecture of Cefalonia
- Transportation in Prefecture of Cefalonia
- Nightlife in Prefecture of Cefalonia
- Restaurants in Prefecture of Cefalonia
- Shopping in Prefecture of Cefalonia
- Warnings and Dangers in Prefecture of Cefalonia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prefecture of Cefalonia
- 20 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Prefecture of Cefalonia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prefecture of Cefalonia
- updated a Prefecture of Cefalonia Travel Page "BEFORE CAPTAIN CORELLI"
- Posted in Travel Greece Forum "Re: Money Money Money"
- Commented on one of nickandchris's Prefecture of Cefalonia tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "More Golden Oldies......"
- Wrote a Review Ag. Efimia in Prefecture of Cefalonia Things to Do
Photos in Prefecture of CefaloniaSee All Photos (85)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 61 reviews, 299 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 72 reviews, 280 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 56 reviews, 279 photos, 1 travelogue
- Scotland Intro, 71 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia Intro, 53 reviews, 225 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 199 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues