"Unknown Places To Explore...." Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Argolida by nickandchris
Prefecture of Argolida Travel Guide: 419 reviews and 1,316 photos
The Argolis peninsula was new territory for us. Being based in the eastern Peloponnese we felt we had to make the effort and explore further afield and give the Argolis a try.
It's known as the thumb of the Peloponnese, owing to it's shape and location in the far east of the Peloponnese.
It's a mixed bag, with popular resorts for the wealthy in the south and man-made beach resorts across from Hydra where boats ply back and forth.
It also encompasses the famous Epidavros theatre as well as the coastal resorts of Palea and Nea Epidavros.The whole area is rich in history and ancient sites and would take weeks to explore thoroughly.
The Argolis is surrounded on the west by the Argolic Gulf and on the east by the Saronic Gulf. Obviously this allows for lots of coast to be explored and there are many satellite islands as well as Spetse, Hydra, volcanic Methana and Poros.
The area is extremely mountainous with Mt. Didima rising to 1121m. and between these mountains lush valleys and rolling agricultural land is the norm.
The coastline is popular with the boating set with plenty of safe anchorages around the peninsula.
We only scraped the surface of this region, deliberately not visiting places that were too tourist orientated. We travelled in a clockwise direction, avoiding Tolon and then across the centre to Neochori and back down to the west, visiting the Frachti Cave, Didima caves and the pleasant, very Greek fishing village of Kilada.
There were places on the east we wanted to visit and we had originally planned to spend a few days in the Argolis but that never happened. Somewhere to return to maybe?I think possibly it could be a little on the pricey side, with the proximity of Spetse, Poros and Hydra and the plentiful hydrofoil connections with Piraeus.
- Pros:Lots of off the beaten track places.....
- Cons:Some mega resorts, too close to Athens to remain quiet
- In a nutshell:Forget the known places, try the unknown.....
I had a wander along the seafront at Kilada and had a look at various menus. As two of the restaurants were... more travel advice
One of THE most visited ancient sites in Greece. Far too popular for it's own good. It's setting is beautiful, amongst... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Prefecture of Argolida Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Cradle of Greek Civilization"
- "Unknown Places To Explore...."
- "The heart of Greece"
- "Argolida, heart of the Peloponese"
- "Prefecture of Argolida – Epidaurus&Nafplio&Mycenae"
- "Wild Red Tulips in the Fields of Argolida"
- "Spetses 2000"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prefecture of Argolida
- Hotels in Prefecture of Argolida
- Transportation in Prefecture of Argolida
- Nightlife in Prefecture of Argolida
- Restaurants in Prefecture of Argolida
- Shopping in Prefecture of Argolida
- Warnings and Dangers in Prefecture of Argolida
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prefecture of Argolida
- 12 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Prefecture of Argolida?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prefecture of Argolida
- Posted in Travel Lake District National Park Forum "Re: Holiday away for me and my..."
- Commented on one of BorneoGrrl's Prefecture of Argolida travel pages
- Wrote a Review Very Greek.... in Prefecture of Argolida Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Very Greek...."
- updated a Prefecture of Argolida Travel Page "Unknown Places To Explore...."
Photos in Prefecture of ArgolidaSee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 70 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 70 reviews, 248 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 52 reviews, 258 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues