"Pretty Places in the Peloponnese" Prefecture of Messinia by nickandchris
Prefecture of Messinia Travel Guide: 132 reviews and 454 photos
Messinia is a stunning location. Situated in the south western corner of the Peloponnese in Greece, it has over 160 kms. of fabulous coastline, much of it undeveloped and just waiting for you to visit. Package holidays do visit the area but only in small minorities. You won't find any mega resorts (yet) but there is plenty of accommodation available and direct flights from many European countries land at Kalamata airport, the capital of this region.
Be warned though, that times are a changing! Although fishing and farming still play a vital role in the locals lives, tourism is about to become big business. Two massive golf complexes are being built on the west coast and I've heard rumours of a water park being constructed somewhere in the not too distant future.
The prefecture of Messinia extends from north of Kyparissia on the western coast to it's easterly point just south of Stoupa. It is bordered with the Ionian sea on the west, the Messinian Gulf on the south, the River Neda on the north and the Taygetos mountains on the east. Although the area has a mild climate, snow does fall and can be seen on Taygetos from November to May. If you are in Chrani in early season, you will probably notice the striking view across the bay of the white tip of Taygetos.
Some of the better known holiday destinations include Stoupa, Chrani, Petalidi, Koroni, Finikounda,Methoni, Pylos and Gialova.
Apart from it's spectacular coastline, there are plenty of places to visit in Messinia. The castles of Methoni, Pylos and Koroni are a must see, as is Ancient Messini, a huge archaeological site that is still being excavated. Gorges, river walks, pools to swim in, mountains to climb. They are all here, in this beautiful location. Get here before it's too late.
I have written seperate pages on these places in Messinia:
- Pros:Stunning scenery and superb beaches
- Cons:Too Many "foreigners" moving in.....
- In a nutshell:Lots of scope for exploring
Just west of Kalamata is a great long swathe of sand, reaching nearly as far as Petalidi. There is the odd camp site... more travel advice
Or it's proper name: Kastro ton Paramythion. This is an amazing sight, quite hard to believe your own eyes!! It was... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Prefecture of Messinia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pretty Places in the Peloponnese"
- "Ancient Messini, Koroni and Harakopion."
- "Messinia prefecture"
- "Apollo the Helper"
- "MANI, the wild and "proud" beauty of southern Pelo"
- "Messinia prefecture"
- "Messinia, the southwestern end of the Peloponese"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prefecture of Messinia
- Hotels in Prefecture of Messinia
- Transportation in Prefecture of Messinia
- Nightlife in Prefecture of Messinia
- Restaurants in Prefecture of Messinia
- Shopping in Prefecture of Messinia
- Warnings and Dangers in Prefecture of Messinia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prefecture of Messinia
- 44 Reviews
- 180 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Prefecture of Messinia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prefecture of Messinia
- Posted in Travel Lake District National Park Forum "Re: driving in the lake district"
- Commented on one of JLBG's Prefecture of Messinia travel pages
- updated a Prefecture of Messinia Travel Page "Pretty Places in the Peloponnese"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Trachila"
- Wrote a Review And The Rest Of The Beaches..... in Prefecture of Messinia Favorites
Photos in Prefecture of MessiniaSee All Photos (180)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 69 reviews, 243 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 68 reviews, 244 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 51 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues