"My Arcadia" Prefecture of Arcadia by nickandchris
Prefecture of Arcadia Travel Guide: 119 reviews and 359 photos
Arcadia, in the Peloponnese, has some of the most stunning scenery in Greece. It occupies most of central Peloponnese, extending from Kiveri on the north eastern coast to beyond Karitena on the western side. It's south eastern extreme is just north of Kiparissi. It takes in Megalopoli and Tripoli.
It is surrounded by mountain ranges, which makes travelling very interesting, to say the least.
Many medieval villages cling to the mountains , some in ruins, others have survived time and are worth visiting.
Arcadia has a varied coastline on the east coast of the Peloponnese, running from Kiveri down to Plaka.
There are a few Greek seaside resorts which only wind up in high season. These include: Kiveri, Xiropigado,Paralia Astros, Ag. Andreas, Paralia Tirou, Sambatiki, Lakkos, Plaka and Poulithra. For a coastal holiday with fantastic scenery any of these locations fit the bill.
Tourism is very small business though generally accommodation is of good quality owing to it being an area Greeks have discovered for themselves.
We have now visited inland Arcadia twice, this year making a trip to Stemnitsa and Dhimitsana, a great journey through the mountains. Still we have only just skated around this wonderful region and we must return again and again. Coastal Arcadia we have been to a few times, to various places. We really would like to return to explore the mountains, ancient villages, river gorges and so much more. It is all there, just waiting for us to return to., but this time without children so we are free to travel where and when we want.
- Pros:Relatively unknown to the package industry
- Cons:Such a large area to explore in a two week holiday
- In a nutshell:It's still there, waiting for you......
One of the pretty, traditional villages in beautiful inland Arcadia. Not so much off the beaten track as it was, as a... more travel advice
Another typical Arcadian inland mountain village, also overlooking the Lousios Gorge. Pretty stone houses tumble down... more travel advice
nickandchris' Related Pages
Prefecture of Arcadia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Arcadia"
- "Late summer in the mountains of Arcadia"
- "Heartland of the Peloponnese"
- "Arcadia transit"
- "2nd day of Peloponesso tour; 2nd stop"
- "Arcadia-Ancient Ways Modern Times"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prefecture of Arcadia
- Hotels in Prefecture of Arcadia
- Transportation in Prefecture of Arcadia
- Restaurants in Prefecture of Arcadia
- Shopping in Prefecture of Arcadia
- Warnings and Dangers in Prefecture of Arcadia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prefecture of Arcadia
- 68 Reviews
- 250 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Prefecture of Arcadia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prefecture of Arcadia
Photos in Prefecture of ArcadiaSee All Photos (250)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 70 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 70 reviews, 248 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 52 reviews, 258 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues