"Flying to Chania, Crete" Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Chania by nickandchris
Prefecture of Chania Travel Guide: 360 reviews and 849 photos
October 2001 and we were lucky to be in the position of booking a last minute holiday (to Greece of course!). We trawled teletext and came up with a Manos holiday to Almirida, Crete, the last week of the season at the very end of October. So, Crete for the fourth time.
We flew with Virgin Sun who on our return journey were going into liquidation. The cabin staff had no idea what was happening to them after this flight and it proved a very jolly flight indeed!!
Arriving at Chania Airport was a pleasant experience and we were out and onto our resort coach very swiftly.
Almirida was about a 30 min. transfer, ideal when we only had a week. It is to the east of Chania, the west of Georgioupoli and approx. 4 km. east of Kalyves.
We stayed in the Isadora Apartments (no longer in the Manos brochure) which were in a superb location overlooking the harbour with views around to the village.
We were really impressed with our two bedroomed apartment and still reckon it has been one of the best places we have stayed in Greece. The only downfall was the owner's dog which was always out on their veranda above us and it would bark like mad when anyone passed.
We enjoyed sitting on the balcony in the early evenings but at that time of the year the sun had soon disappeared and it was cool. We were into jeans and jumpers by 5.30 and it was dark by 7ish.
Almirida is a very small,once fishing, village which probably relies on tourism more for a living now.
It is very pretty with three sandy, clean beaches and another on the way to nearby Kalyves.
There are a few tavernas along the front, all with outdoor areas across the road by the sea. In october they had their awning sides well and truly battoned down and in fact we had to eat indoors most nights it was so cold.
At least one of these tavernas was open all year, catering for the Greeks who apparently flock here. I must admit the quality of the food was exceptional. As our week progressed and the weather worsened, all but one taverna closed down.
Most of the accommodation appeared to be package but Isadora was advertising rooms to rent when Manos finished for the season. There is the newish Almirida Beach hotel also.
There are is no bank or post office and only one (I think) mini-market. It is only a few kms. to Kalyves where there are lots of shopping opportunities including a big co-op.
Naturally we hired a car and toured around. This was Nick and I's third trip to Kriti, together, and the fourth for me. In the early '80's we toured for three weeks on a motorbike, then in 1993 we stayed in Kalyves and explored more of the west and now this last trip to Almirida.
We did find it hard to visit places from Almirida that we hadn't already seen, that weren't too long a drive away. Kriti being such a vast island, if you are not careful you can find yourself travelling all day.
I will combine some of our older Kriti
holiday outings with the newer ones (when the photos have been scanned and reduced.)
There are so many places we have visited in this area that I'm not going to cover them all, others have already done so and my info is a bit out of date.
- Pros:Vastly differing scenery, a huge amount to go at....
- Cons:Too many foreigners buying property here, not enough Greek....
- In a nutshell:Nowhere really "undiscovered"
Crete's only real fresh water lake, some 4km. inland from Georgioupolis. Coming from the English Lake District, we were... more travel advice
Another place that's lost it's identity. In 1984 the village square, shaded by eucalyptus trees, was a pleasant place to... more travel advice
- See All Cats
- See All Motorbike Hire
- See All Oranges
- See All Lady Next Door
- Argripouli Waterfalls
nickandchris' Related Pages
Prefecture of Chania Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Flying to Chania, Crete"
- "So many attractions..."
- "Our holiday in the province Chania"
- "Western Crete"
- "The old Harbor"
- "CHANIA not small but nice"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prefecture of Chania
- Hotels in Prefecture of Chania
- Transportation in Prefecture of Chania
- Nightlife in Prefecture of Chania
- Restaurants in Prefecture of Chania
- Shopping in Prefecture of Chania
- Warnings and Dangers in Prefecture of Chania
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prefecture of Chania
- 48 Reviews
- 129 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Prefecture of Chania?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prefecture of Chania
- Posted in Travel Lake District National Park Forum "Re: driving in the lake district"
- Commented on one of ardnas67's Prefecture of Chania travel pages
- Wrote a Review Lake Kournas in Prefecture of Chania Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Georgioupoli"
- updated a Prefecture of Chania Travel Page "Flying to Chania, Crete"
Photos in Prefecture of ChaniaSee All Photos (129)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 55 reviews, 269 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Lesvos Intro, 54 reviews, 268 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 69 reviews, 243 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 68 reviews, 244 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Highland Intro, 51 reviews, 253 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yialova Intro, 55 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paralion Astros Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Koroni Intro, 40 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues